advice on pc specification

choirgirlcrashin 15:57 27 Jan 2006

I am moving to New Zealand in the next few months and have looked with dismay at their standard computer specs.
I have started looking at another desktop to ship their but am finding it hard to know what spec to go for. I use the pc for:
Music
Video - including converting formats
Burning
reports/ word processing - excel etc...
Lots of photoshop/ illustrator
digital tv capability - recording tv without pc being out of action.

I'm not a gamer and have looked at Mesh pcs - I know I need a fair bit of Ram seeing as I usually use two or three apps at a time. If anyone has any advice about buying a suitable machine and not wasting money on functions that are for gamers I would be very appreciative.
Thanks

rmcqua 21:07 27 Jan 2006

What's your budget?

choirgirlcrashin 21:44 27 Jan 2006

Anything up to 2000 - the choice is extensive and I would like a high spec machine - but am finding all the different processors etc - tv cards etc a tad confusing...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mr Mistoffelees 21:52 27 Jan 2006

Remember to check, and ensure compatibility with, New Zealand's mains voltage.

choirgirlcrashin 22:02 27 Jan 2006

Thank you for the reminder, the appropriate adaptors have been bought and work fine with my partner's laptop.

Totally-braindead 22:17 27 Jan 2006

Mr Mistoffelees is correct choirgirlcrashin, a laptop will work because it uses an adaptor rated from 110 volts to 240 volts, so a laptop will work no problem but desktops are different, you will need one that can allow you to switch the voltage from 240 v to 110v and not all of them can do that.
You know I've typed all that and just realised that I have no idea what voltage they use in New Zealand. If they use 240 volts I've just wasted my time.

rmcqua 22:18 27 Jan 2006

OK, you can have a lovely machine for less than that. This is what I would go for:
click here
with this monitor: click here
and maybe this digital TV card:
click here

rmcqua 22:22 27 Jan 2006

New Zealand is 230/240 volts, 50Hz, just like UK.

choirgirlcrashin 22:25 27 Jan 2006

Thank you all so much - my first post and everyone has been most helpful!

howard63 20:50 28 Jan 2006

Could I enter a word of caution either build one yourself or buy one out there as there is no way you will be able to get warranty service at the other side of the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017