Advice on new system

Bullyboy76 23:37 27 Aug 2007

Hi

I'm looking to buy a new PC since mine is becoming very dated, however, it's been a while and I'm not as computer savvy as I was. Can someone give some advice on a desktop/supplier. I'll use the PC for gaming mostly, with a little bit of video editing and as I'm hoping not to be replacing again for another 3-4 years, I'll need something reasonably 'future-proof' (is there such a thing anymore?) or easily upgradable. I'm looking to spend approx £1,000 to £1,200 including monitor, keyboard/mouse and speakers. After going through the Cougar website, I've come up with the spec below. Is this well balanced/optimal for the money (it was priced at £1,100).

Many thanks in advance.

AMD Dual Core X2 6000 AM2 64,
2Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800,
500GB SATA Hard Drive,
X-Cruiser Black Case,
Atrix 720Watt Silent Dual Fan,
512Mb ATI HD 2900XT series graphics card DX10,
AM2 - ALiveXFire-eSATA2-1000fsb-DDR800x4 Crossfire motherboard,
2 x 16X DVD+/- RW (pioneer 111D),
No Floppy Disk Drive,
AMW 22" TFT,
Microsoft remote keyboard & mouse wireless 3000, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme sound card,
Trust SP-6210 Speakers,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM),
3 Year Labour Warranty Upgrade, Free Carriage

C3 00:49 28 Aug 2007

Have a look at one of the sites where you can buy the individual parts, make up a shopping list of the same parts (or equivalent) and see what the price comes out to. This will give you a rough idea.

The only things worth looking at to have a nice gaming unit would be to get two SATA drives to run in RAID 0 as your C drive, then use the 500gb for storage. I've got 2 10,000rpm Western Digital 74gb drives which are pretty fast. this would be pushing the price up a bit though.
Also, look at maybe getting a gaming mouse (I use the Logitech G5 which is rather good), although this depends on what sort of games you're playing. It's great for FPS games.

Bullyboy76 22:49 28 Aug 2007

Ta for the help. The spec above appears ok based on research suggested by you.

Is Cougar a good/reliable supplier and are there any alternatives that you can recommend?

Does anyone else have any alternative/further suggestions?

All help gratefully received.

easyvibe 23:03 28 Aug 2007

hi just got my machine from cougar excellent service my spec is 2.4 quad core ,8800 gtx 768mb graphics card,twin dvd pioneer drives,2 gig corsair 800 memory,asus p5n-e sli motherboard cruiser case in silver (looks the nuts with all the blue lights and gauges) 720 psu plus all the usuals cost 998 with vat was bulit and deliver in 5 days

easyvibe 23:04 28 Aug 2007

that was for just the tower by the way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires