Advice on new pc

sunways 12:55 13 Sep 2009

I would like to buy a new pc from quality pc maker. I have a limited budget, £700-750 tops. The pc will be used for general computer work, some photo editing ( photoshop cs4) and the odd game. A well built, quite pc with a good quality 22 inch monitor are required rather than the most powerful processor - graphic card combination for the money. I have been looking in Arbico, Chilllast and Cyberpower, and feel that I may have to tweak some of there systems to get what I want, particularly regarding making a system quieter. This is the area I really need help with. I may go for a Iiyama prolife e2208hds monitor at £150. That will leave £600 for the tower, can it be done ?. thanks Sunways..

Terry Brown 15:08 13 Sep 2009

A lot of people use a DELL system, and it runs quiet and has a small desktop footprint.

Will it do all you want it to ?.

If you go to the Dell website, there is a check list that helps you to narrow down what you want.
click here

The choice is yours
Terry

sunways 16:06 13 Sep 2009

Thanks for that Terry, yes i have looked at Dell, but came to the conclusion that the processors were slow for the price and a 2 year warranty extension very expensive.
I did come across cube 247's zeta st24 as advertised in the latest pc adviser £699. Seems to good to be true, so it probably is ! Ant feedback on this ?..

961 17:05 13 Sep 2009

Why buy 2 yr warranty? If it works at the start and through the standard (90 day?) warranty it will work until you are sick of it unless you are extremely unlucky

Otherwise if you want a longer warranty, haggle to get it free. They'll often throw it in for peanuts if you go on long enough

Wait until computers are sold with new Windows 7 installed as standard. Not long to go

The Kestrel 17:16 13 Sep 2009

I and many others on this forum have purchased a PC from Cougar Extreme click here . You can configure your PC as you wish from their extensive drop down lists. This company produce excellent machines and also have excellent pre and after sales service.

sunways 17:34 13 Sep 2009

Excellent, Cougar Extreme looks very promising i was thinking of a AMD phenom based system, but feel i am not qualified in choosing case, power supply, ect any chance of a bit of help ? A quiet, powerful base unit would be nice, for £600....

And yes i will wait for Windows 7.

sunways 18:28 13 Sep 2009

(AM3 Phenom X4 945 3.0 GHz 8 MB Cache, 4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 (2 x 2gb), 500GB SATA Hard Drive, 500GB Secondary SATA HDD, RC330 Elite Black Case , Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade, 1024mb 9500GT PCI Express Nvidia DDR DVI, AM3 Asrock N68PV-GS INT - DDR2 1066x2 Nvidia 750 chipset, DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, Integrated Sound Card, Trust 2.1 SP-2350 Speaker Set, , 64 BIT Windows Vista Home Premiem, )

This is from Cougar and is in my price range. please feel free to comment-pick holes in it.

The Kestrel 19:23 13 Sep 2009

You can always 'phone Cougar for advice. It is likely you'll speak to Mario, the owner/manager. He is very knowledgeable and will discuss your needs and help you come up with a suitable spec. within your budget.

citadel 20:41 13 Sep 2009

coolermaster silo case [ has soundproofing ]
quiet psu 525w enermax pro 82 also 88% efficient.
quiet cpu cooler scythe zipang.
graphics card sapphire hd4670 ultimate.
you will need an ear trumpet to know if the pc is on.

sunways 21:13 13 Sep 2009

Thanks Citadel, I will run this spec by Cougar, hope the price is with in my budget..

Dellman 11:55 15 Sep 2009

I am looking to replace my existing 5 year old desktop Family PC. We are not a big "gaming family" on PC - kids aged 10 and 6 currently do alot of gaming through the Wii!!! They do limited internet based gaming - "platform" type games. Otherwise, Family PC used for Web browsing, emails, occasional Video editing, photo managament/editing, music/movie downloads. I would want to also have some element of future-proofing in whatever we buy.

I have come across/configured the below from Cougar:

Cougar Extreme Online

CEDBLUSN000[] (AM2 Phenom X3 8650 2.3 GHz 2 MB Cache, 4GB Corsair Memory DDR3 1333 (2 x 2gb), 500GB SATA Hard Drive, , , , 512mb 9400GT PCI Express Nvidia DDR DVI, AM3 Asrock N68PV-GS INT - DDR2 1066x2 Nvidia 750 chipset, DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, 19 Inch Cougar Extreme Wide Screen TFT, Microsoft multimedia keyboard & mouse, Integrated Sound Card, Trust 2.1 SP-3200 Speaker Set, , 64 BIT Windows Vista Home Premiem, No Additional Software, ) (remove) £505.90

Internal 3.5Inch Card Reader (remove) £7.00

PCI Firewire Card (remove) £4.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal £516.90
Current shipping is Please SelectShip as selected above £0.00Customer Store Collection £0.00Telephone Quote £0.00Components, Processors, motherboards, etc. £10.00Cables, CD £5.00 Shipping £0.00
Tax (Inc) £67.42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currency is British Pound Total £516.90

Is this a good spec and price? I have not come across Cougar (having previously used Dell and Mesh). How do Cougar compare? Also, in terms of above Processor Spec, how does AMD compare to Intel?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?