Advice needed urgently!

ali_baby 08:18 11 Jun 2010

Hiya everyone,
I bought a brand new Acer pc from a reputable outlet in september 2008.
A month after having the pc it wouldnt boot up properly so contacted Acer and they talked me through reinstalling the OS and that was that...
3 months after the warranty ran out in dec 2009 i tried turning on pc but to no avail, nothing happened so i contacted Acer thinking they would help but would they hell.
I contacted a company called PC Callout Ltd who sent a technician to my home, after a lot of huffing and puffing he came to the conclusion that my motherboard had packed in and it would need to be changed so i went along with what he had told me. After a LONG week of to-ing and froing he came back with the tower, turned it on and after 5 minutes it booted up, he told me he would be back the next day to sort the problems and that was the last i ever saw of him.
Well i stupidly never complained but in march i couldnt boot up again so i did contact PC Callout who then sent another tech who reinstalled the OS and told me he didnt know why the motherboard had been changed in the first place.
Ha guess what.....the pc isn't booting up properly, i can only get in with safe mode with networking.
Can anyone tell me what they think i should do? Please dont tell me to dump the pc and buy a new one, i do not have the money to do that.
I hope i havent confused you too much lol, if you would like to know anything else then please do not hesitate to ask, i dont bite!!!
Thanks
alison

ali_baby 08:21 11 Jun 2010

I went into problems and solutions and there are 2 specific problems as follows......

Consider BIOS upgrade
Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However, this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer uses to run programs and store data.

During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output system (BIOS) version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version of BIOS for your computer's processor.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers
Notes

Upgrading the BIOS version may require moderate to advanced troubleshooting skills. If you are uncomfortable with performing these steps, you might want to consider consulting with paid technical support.

If your computer contains an Intel desktop board, click the following link to go online for more information:

Intel desktop board BIOS update instructions

Address a problem with your computer
You received this message because hardware or software on your computer caused Windows to shut down unexpectedly and restart. This is a serious problem, commonly referred to as a stop error or blue screen.

If you have received this error more than once, we recommend that you do the following:

Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.

Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers
Additional technical information

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

Random access memory (RAM)
System board
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
Power supply

tullie 06:14 14 Jun 2010

Cant help with problems,but computer should have gone to where you bought it from,its their problem,not the manufacturer.

howard64 06:41 14 Jun 2010

if you have an xp disk you can do a repair install of xp. This involves booting from the disk and then going through the install routine past the repair option using the recovery console then you get the option to press R to repair xp. This put a clean working copy of xp on the machine but does not wipe out your progs or data. You should of course have your data safely backed up anyway.

onthelimit 09:18 14 Jun 2010

I expect the warranty was for a year, so they would be less than interested after 15mths, I guess. Ali, I think your beef should be with PC Callout who charged you to fix the PC but didn't. I would chase them with a reasonably worded letter explaining the situation. If that brings no result, take it further using the Small Claims Court, if you think you have a valid case.

ali_baby 12:15 14 Jun 2010

hiya,
yeah your right, my beef is with pc callout.
i did write to them but they said they were not going to sort my problem, so i contacted consumer direct who were brilliant! They've given me lots of advice and just like as you mentioned i have to write a letter recorded delivery and give them 10/14 days to reply, if not i have to get back to consumer direct who will then pass it on to Trading Standards!
Thanks for your advice, its greatly appreciated.
Alison

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone