Advice needed regarding Dell Dimension 8300

cactusjack 13:02 12 Dec 2003

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying a Dell PC over Christmas (it is probably cheaper to build my own, but Dell do offer good phone, website and onsite support). I was looking at the Dell specifications, and looked at the 'Desktops' section of the online shop and looked at the Dimension 8300 specifications e.g. Dec 86 8300. I played around by customising the system (I'm looking for a relatively high end system that will last me 3 - 5 years).

But then I found I could get a much cheaper high spec system by looking at the 8300 D53-REV system under the 'Awards and Reviews' section – i.e. a cheaper price + more advanced compnents.

For example, after customisation, the following 8300 system - Dec86 (in the 8300 Desktop section) is £2113:

- 1024MB Dual Channel DDR 400 (4x256MB)
- 4 Year On-Site Next Business Day Service Support
- 3.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor with HT technology and 800 front side bus
- 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- 120GB (7200rpm) IDE Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst cache
- 16x DVD & 8x DVD+R\+RW (+ GBP £65)
- Dell 17" (17.0" VIS) Analogue Flat Panel Monitor
- 256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT card with DVI, dual monitor support and TV-Out via S-Video
- 250MB Iomega Zip Drive
- Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Sound Card
- Dell A425 Speakers with Subwoofer
- Dell 56k Data/Fax/Voice Modem
- Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional
- Dell Standard PS2 Keyboard
- Logitech Optical 2 Btn Scroll USB Mouse Whl

The 8300 (D53 REV) bought through the 'Awards and Reviews' section (after customisation) has a cheaper price of £1,894 and has components that are either the same or superior to the above 8300 system - e.g. the hard drive, sound card, keyboard, speakers and monitor are superior. Yet the system is cheaper:

- 1024MB Dual Channel DDR 400 (4x256MB)
- 4 Year On-Site Next Business Day Service Support
- 3.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor with HT technology and 800 front side bus
- 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive (+ GBP £15)
- 120GB 7200rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
- 16x DVD & 8x DVD+R\+RW
- Dell 18" UltraSharp (18.0"VIS) Analogue/Digital Flat Panel Monitor
- 256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT card with DVI, dual monitor support and TV-Out via S-Video
- 250MB Iomega Zip Drive
- Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Digital Sound Card
- Dell 5650 Speakers with Subwoofer
- Dell 56k Data/Fax/Voice Modem
- Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional
- Dell enhanced multimedia keyboard
- Logitech Optical 2 Btn Scroll USB Mouse Whl

I am presuming that systems under the 'Awards and Reviews' section are systems that have been reviewed by magazines or other publications. If I bought one of these systems instead of going through the usual 'Desktop' route on the website, is there any real disadvantage that I don't know about, since why would these systems be better value for money? - is there something missing from the systems in 'Awards and Reviews' that I haven’t noticed, that makes them cheaper at high specifications?
Hope that made sense!!!

Thank you + Merry Christmas

Hyperangelic 14:50 12 Dec 2003

For what it's worth - I bought the 8300 during the summer (slightly lower specs than your system) and found that by specifying my requirements and mixing and matching, I got my 8300 with great specs for just over the price that Dell were selling a 2400 for - with a really poor spec!

Dell appear to be a company, where if you know what you are doing you can get a great deal. If you have no idea, you get what you - in your innocence - think is a great system, but which is pretty average really.

byfordr 16:00 12 Dec 2003

I also got the 200 D52REV in the summer, you definately get a great deal that you can't get by upgrading one of the basic 8300. Its a good time to buy it as there is the double memory offer on again.

The 200 D53REV seems a great deal. Though I'd have to question whether the money dell are charging for the graphics card is worth it, for £235 it seems on the steep side for relatively little performance gain.

R

phoenix198 17:16 12 Dec 2003

Great post! Thank you - just the system I have been looking for, and I have just ordered one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires