Advice on mobile phone cold calls

pavvi 14:40 01 Sep 2007

Hi Guys, A lot of people get calls on their home and mobile phones, offering upgrades and new phones, and I have seen some horror stories in my time. Third parties often use number crunching software to get hold of your mobile number. Here is a little bit of advice in these situations.

1/ If you get a call from someone claiming to come from yur present service provider, be very suspicious if they do not ask you to confirm your personal details. Only authorised people have access to these. You would need to confirm passwords etc to go ahead with an upgrade, so if you aren't asked for it the chances are that you are not speaking to your service provider.

2/ Be even more suspicious if someone rings you nd offers you x% off your line rental as a "loyalty" gift. Orange customers are targetted most often, and they will have your personal details as orange allows dealers to have access to a certain amount of these. The discount isn't a discount. It's what is known as an airtime only upgrade. In simple terms this is an upgrade, therefore extending your contract to a further 18 months, except that you are not getting a free phone as part of the deal. Some people do choose to upgrade without getting a new phone, but you should get at least 50% off for this.

3/ If you do get a call, tell them that you will call your service provider direct. If the offer that they are giving you does sound good, get them to confirm the offer in writing before you go ahead.

4/ Go to your local independent mobile phone store and show them what you have been offered and see if they can match or beat it. If you need to keep your existing number you should be able to keep it if you are transferring to a different network: you need a pac (porting authoisation code) number and transferring your number can take between 7 and 14 working days depending on your network.

It's all a case of being cautious when you get called on the phone. If they are genuine they won't mind you calling back: most call centre agents for upgrades do have their own extension numbers so they should be able to give you an extension number to call.

Hope this helps

dukeboxhero 16:53 01 Sep 2007

hey pavvi well i fell for it click here but BT and OFCOM have taken up my complaint also got a letter from the company involved and have been told this was the act of an individual and his employment has been termanated

Forum Editor 17:10 01 Sep 2007

some time ago, but not recently - nowadays I get text messages offering me this and that.

Thanks for the tips, pavvi.

v1asco 22:27 01 Sep 2007

the GM Group, who didn't even bother to block their number. Each time I asked them to remove me from their list and each time they said I was (but obviuosly wasn't). They were particularly annoying because they also called my other number, which my Wife uses. The last time I told them firmly that the next time they bother me I will lead them right up the garden path and waste their time. Their reply is fantastic. great, marvellous!

They always imply they are from my provider and have I received my update yet. I find asking them MY name amusing, they never know it.

I have now registerd all mobiles and land line numbers in my house with the Telephone Preference Service click here and look forward to reporting them when they call next.

The TPS and M(ail)PS are excellent, stopping nearly all unwanted mail and cold callers.

I realise that cold callers are only doing a job but there should be a system in every calling outfit that ensures no repeat calls once a customer has requested this.

six-h 00:13 03 Sep 2007

a mobile phone illiterate!
My cousin in her wisdom has decided to go backpacking at the age of 53!
She is a longstanding Orange Contract customer, with a recent Samsung slider phone (I don't know which), but I was surprised that the advice she was given was to dump that contract, and buy a pay'n'go phone when in the States, and again when in Australia!
I thought these modern phones were "Worldband" ?
Has she been correctly advised?

v1asco 10:11 03 Sep 2007

Some are, some aren't!

It would be best to check with Orange.

the pay n go idea may be because the calls are cheaper on that countries provider.

However, if you have a phone on the 3 network calls to Australia(including video calls, text & picture I think) are treated as part of your free allowance and are only charged if you are over your allowance. Please check with 3, it is my understanding that it must be 3 network to 3 network. It is not just Australia, Ireland and others click here
tells you more. Also you will need a tri band phone for the states. My sons Nokia worked fine in Aus.

It is usually cheaper to buy a dicount international phone card in the States and Aussie

click here is one site. Seems to be quoting 0.01p a minute.

I've not used these, but similar. Also, I do not work for 3.

Hopes this helps and apologies to Pavvi for using his thread.

pavvi 13:03 03 Sep 2007

What you need to remember is that when you are away from home in another country you pay to receive calls as well as making them. Except for Vodafone Passport which charges a 75p fee per call when you are in certain countries on the preferred network, your bundled minutes do not count when you are abroad. so the aadvice given was sound.

I won't go into detail as I did a thread on this quite some time ago, but I have just got back from promoting my album in the far east and Australia, and the cost on t-mobile was £1 a minute to receive a call and £1.40 a minute to make a call. Generally it is cheaper to send a multimedia message than a text message: text messages can cost you up to 50p whereas you can use just text in a multimedia message (MMS) and you can write 3 times as much and amazingly it is usually cheaper.

I didn't always remember this myself, but on tmob for example it's 40p for a sms but 20p for a mms. Also unles you really need it, get your service provider to turn off your voicemail as whn you pick up voicemail you are both making and receiving a call, so you can be looking at £2.50 a minute.

six-h 16:52 03 Sep 2007

I was just worried that their recommendation to ditch her long standing contract, might have been more favourable to Orange than to my cousin!

You guys have just reminded me why I don't have a mobile phone! So confusing, so many options!!

Pavvi, so pleased for you that your magnificent talent has been recognised, and I hope that your new career brings you and your family as much pleasure as your voice brings to us.

pavvi 20:27 03 Sep 2007

Thanks for that six-h. Your frined doesn't necessarily have to have different phones, just different sim cards on pay as you go. If you are in a country fro more than a couple of weeks (or if you think that you are going to be chatting a lot while away, get a pay as you go sim card for the country you are going to, assuming that your phone isn't locked to any network...

It was a good trip, however we had to go the long way from Sydney via L.A. and our bags didn't make it to Heathrow with us. I always imagined LAX would be a glamorous airport, but our airports put it in the shade

six-h 23:26 04 Sep 2007

info, and she will doubtless sort somethink out that suits her pocket, 'cos she will suffer withdrawal symptoms if she can't phone someone!!

I know what you mean concerning the shattering of glamorous illusions!
I was priviliged to travel the world on a corporate account, staying in Hotels that were beyond my means and to experience other cultures.
One thing that it taught me is that we, here in Britain, for all our gripes, are incredibly lucky, but sadly many folk take this for granted.
I hope that you were able to travel with your Wife, 'cos that's the only thing that saddens me, that I was unable to share those experiences with someone else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?