Advice on Freeview Set Top Boxes

14all 22:51 30 Nov 2005

I have just spent 5 hours researching the net about Freeview Set Top Boxes and I haven’t found a decent review for any of them

Having had two Philips DTR 500’s die with the same fault within a year I would like to move on to another manufacturer, has anyone got any good things to say about these darn things?

I only want to stay within a certain price range £40 to £70 as I really believe they are becoming a throw away product after a year.

citadel 23:01 30 Nov 2005

goodmans was the best in test in a recent review in a mag bought.

Migwell 23:10 30 Nov 2005

Marks and Spencer are selling their own branded set top boxes this year, and I expect that they will not stand for any duff stuff.

14all 23:13 30 Nov 2005

I also read a report in a rival mag that that GDB3 was reasonable, but after reading 14 readers reviews, which all slated the product I’m being to wonder if the Mag’s right or the 14 consumers

14all 23:15 30 Nov 2005

Migwell

I'll have to look into that.

Minkey1 23:35 30 Nov 2005

The Sony click here always gets good reviews, and I'm delighted with mine, never had a flicker, EPG is excellent, and rescans are prompted when new channels come on.

Mike

Stuartli 23:48 30 Nov 2005

One of the best set top boxes you can buy is the F2 FOX-T by Humax - you'll pay quite a bit more than the supermarket cheapies, but it's worth every penny.

Pioneer also makes first class Freeview set top boxes.

These are good guides to all the makes reviews wise:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

My mate owns an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet and the Humax box has always outsold other brands because of its superiority, despite the somewhat higher price.

But you get what you pay for...:-)

14all 00:37 01 Dec 2005

Stuartli

Thanks for those links; I'll be studying them tomorrow.

I didn’t know it until this evening, but the fault is common to the Philips DTR 500/05, it’s to do with components burning out in the power supply, Oh well there both in the bin now.

HXP 01:18 01 Dec 2005

I have a SAGEM from COMET was on offer at £34.95 whwhen I brought it 11 months ago - worked faultlessy - not too many extra's with it bit does the job and last time I was in COMET they were still on available

Basic set top box but very good, small, works well

Favourites option and you can move channels around easily, good remote 10/10

SAGEM ITD62 Freeview box still £34.95 click here

Very happy with it

HXP

jack 08:40 01 Dec 2005

I have an On Digital by Nokia - which was passed to me when ON died and I set up for FreeView.
I works faultlessly- Its got a slot should I want to go for the Paid for version[which I wont] What do the others do that this one cannot?
So perhaps the best one yet resides in a skip somewhere waiting to be resuced!

Stuartli 08:56 01 Dec 2005

I used to have the Nokia ON/ITVDigital set top box - it was just about OK but the biggest problem was the remote control, a triumph of style over substance.

Its replacement, a Pioneer DTR210 ITVDigital stb, is not only a superbly classy set top box, but is styled and operates like a first class piece of hi-fi equipment.

It was the only stb produced by Pioneer for ITVDigital and was very rare - however, the company's Freeview stb models are equally as efficient. We bought one of the offspring one for Christmas (last year or the year before) and it's never missed a beat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?