advice on fence painting please

sunnystaines 10:01 07 Dec 2014

last year painted our wooden fence though it strange the paint seemed to attract insects rather than repel them, But now getting patch's of a yellow green fine algae on the fence. does this mean it need repainting or scrubbing off.

had used cuprinol ducksback harvest brown fence paint from B&Q

BT 12:25 07 Dec 2014

Lots of greenish mould growths on local fences around here too. Probably a good wash down with a pressure washer will clean it up.

I cleaned the PVC on my Conservatory last week and there was a huge amount of green mould/algae on the underside of the guttering which I haven't had before. Cleaned it all with PVC cleaner followed by soapy water and a final hose down. Its sparkling now !

spuds 12:27 07 Dec 2014

Cuprinol is a very well known brand, so I guess that the problem is the result of previous preparation, or perhaps having the fence near other foliage.

What I would suggest is to get in touch with Cuprinol and ask their advice, before commencing further. Whatever the case, its the wrong time of year to consider repainting or spraying a fence. Cuprinol information and contact details click here

Batch 15:45 07 Dec 2014

I use Creocote (Wickes) - modern equivalent of Creosote and it smell the same (bootiful).

Never could get on with these modern coatings. Sit on the surface, peel off and dreadful colours.

sunnystaines 15:53 07 Dec 2014

thanks everyone for the useful answers, the water still beads on the unaffected parts of the fence, on a trellis in parts it has peeled off no idea what causes that unless birds peck it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?