Advice on buying a new pc

Rich108 22:49 26 Mar 2011

I Want to buy a new sandybridge i5 2500k Desktop pc If anybody can help me with the questions I have would be much appreciated. I have looked at all the reviews within pc advisor and other sites. I amnt a gamer so dont want to play games on it which seems to be what most of the reviews are judged upon whether the pc can handle the most up to date resource hogging games. I do a lot of streaming and watching of avi/dvd files and want a system capable of showing two different hq streams or avi/dvd files at the same time on different displays without it causing the pc much problems or be able to show a stream or movie on one screen whilst being able to mess about on the internet on the other without any performance issues. Does anybody have any advice on what I should go for, If I amnt going to play games does the graphics card matter ? If I am going to plug the pc directly into an amp connected to my hi-fi speakers will onboard sound be sufficent ? Wld there be any advantage for me getting something that is overclocked if I amnt a gamer

Terry Brown 10:26 27 Mar 2011

As you intend to use HD DVD files I would strongly suggest a HD graphic card like this .click here

As this will be a window 7 computer, you will need a 64 bit system with multicore CPU and memory to suit (up to 8gb should be enough).

Terry

Rich108 14:52 27 Mar 2011

it doesn't matter to me if they are hd dvd files there is no way that i can afford a graphics card as expensive as the one u suggested. it is my bad for not putting a price limit but cant afford anything over a grand for overall price

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires