Advice on buying External Hard Drive

sheila.weston 12:46 02 Feb 2011

Can someone recommend a reliable external HD - 500G of ITG? I was thinking of Seagate, but there is a problem with the 'click of death', I understand - or has that been sorted out now?

My Western Digital has just stopped working after comparatively little use, while my 250g Seagate drive is sturdy and going strong.

Many thanks.

HondaMan 13:14 02 Feb 2011
  robertmonkford 18:32 02 Feb 2011

I'm surprised that the WD has broken down as they do have a really strong background in reliability. It may be worth contacting them (if the drive is within Manufacturer Warranty) to see what they can do.

Anyway, back to your query. I'd opt for this drive click here as it is solid in design and function, plus it's pretty snazzy looking). Alternatively how about click here . Not as pretty but it has the 1TB space.

wids001 19:01 02 Feb 2011

I have got 2 WD external HD (160gb) still running after some 8 years. I have just purchased a third WD (1TB) to replace an omega external drive that has lasted only 8 months!

sheila.weston 16:41 06 Feb 2011

Many thanks, all. It sounds as if they should all be fairly reliable and in the end it depends on the price. I may go for one with a stand.

For the record my WD drive *may* have had a problem with the cable as the light on the little box was on when I plugged one end into the power, but it went out when I attached the other end to the drive. The PC World man tested it and said that the drive had gone - who knows. No, it is out of warranty.

A possible cause is that I use it every 4 - 6 months and keep it in a safe in the garage and the cold may have affected it.

ukpostcode 16:50 06 Feb 2011

Maplins are doing external seagate drives cheaply at the moment.
Bought just before xams 750GB for £49.
The 1TB was £59.

sheila.weston 19:24 08 Feb 2011

Many thanks, all.

Yes, I have bought a 1 TB Seagate drive from Maplins. It looks very smart and seems solid. I backed up 125 giga of data from my laptop overnight, using 'Karen's Replicator'- see click here. No problem.

Only one slight complaint is that it hasn't got an on/off switch which my other Seagate drive has.

robin_x 23:57 08 Feb 2011

Both and Seagate have cutdown versions of Acronis for image backup.

I like Seagates. But WD seems to be best value just now.

The above WD failure is the first I have seen crop up in forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?