ADVICE - £299 BASE UNIT - BEST???

jamesblr 10:43 07 Jan 2006

Budget restraints mean I probably have to go for base unit only.
I want it to have a dvd rw with +/- capability.
I'd rather it had graphics card and not just an integrated job. 512mb ddr is preferred.
I definitely want it to have Windows pre-installed, and the unit ready to use straight from the box. And at least 12 months of onsite warranty.

Now, I've seen the Jal Neola as probably the best kit for the money, but they are built to order and I was offered delivery in 6 weeks!!!
I need the pc asap, unfortunately, and so this is out of the question.

I was hoping for advice - I really need to get a pc, I don't need to much of a high spec, but I don't want to do with out the requirements as set above. And most importantly, delivery in less than 10 days!!
Thanks
James

961 10:49 07 Jan 2006

Dell are advertising a one day only sale in today's (Saturday) press which may have something to suit

hzhzhz 10:55 07 Jan 2006
  jamesblr 12:55 07 Jan 2006

Thanks chaps, but not quite what I was hoping for. Dell only give you on site warranty if you pay an extra £100, and the base units aren't highly specced.
The second suggestion was for a systems with no windows installed, so not quite as desired!
Any other suggestions?

hzhzhz 13:23 07 Jan 2006

Save some more pennies.

Diodorus Siculus 13:48 07 Jan 2006

ComputerBuyer Mag has £299 machines - the winner:

JAL Neola System
"# MOTHERBOARD - Socket 754 Micro ATX Motherboard, 800Mhz Bus, 8x AGP, 2x PC1 Slots, SATA 150 6x USB-2, 10/100 LAN
# PROCESSOR - AMD Sempron 64 3000 Socket 754
# MEMORY - 512Mb DDRam
# HARD DISK - 160Gb SATA 150 Hard Drive
# SOUND - Realtek 5.1
# GRAPHICS CARD - S3 AGP 3D Graphics, On-Board with up to 64Mb of System Ram. It can be disabled and upgraded to an AGP Graphic Card
# DVD ROM - 16x DVDRW Rom +/- Dual Layer
# SPEAKERS - Altec Lansing 2220
# FLOPPY DRIVE - 3.5
# KEYBOARD - Microsoft Multi Media
# MOUSE- Microsoft Optical Mouse
# CASE - Midi ATX Tower
# Incl. SOFTWARE - Windows XP Home, Anti Virus Software (supplied by the motherboard manufacturer)"
click here

Onboard graphics but chance to use AGP 8X slot also

Diodorus Siculus 13:50 07 Jan 2006

Should have read your post properly...

Take a look at Novatech - they have a few on offer at your price but you will struggle to get everything at the price you are offering.

Diodorus Siculus 13:53 07 Jan 2006

Final thought - buy a bundle from Novatech and add the hdd, optical drives etc.

You have little chance of getting everything within budget otherwise.

wee eddie 16:38 07 Jan 2006

They may be able to make one out of stock in store.

It should do most everything you want, 'cos I think that you're on a hiding to nothing about the On-Site Warranty.

Stuartli 23:57 07 Jan 2006

You will not get an onsite warranty either at that price point or, indeed, with a base unit.

A base unit is intended to accept additional components or peripherals that you provide and no company would provide a warranty on that basis.

Stuartli 23:59 07 Jan 2006

You just might find a base unit that will suit here:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?