Advice on 128MB PCI-E Graphics card

IT Phobic 14:27 15 Jul 2007

I've just got a E6420 Core 2 Duo computer. I use it for MS Office, photo editing and will eventually use it for Adobe photoshop, dreamweaver etc, but not for gaming.

The computer came with a 128MB PCI-E graphics card. When I first switched it on, some of the display was chequered. The retailer replaced the graphics card saying it was faulty. Even with the new card, the display is still really poor - displaying in blocks of colour rather than graduated shades.

I've trusted my computer retailer to choose a card which will meet my needs and display well. I don't know if these cards are suitable for what I'm going to use the computer for or whether they're just buying them in cheaply and fobbing me off. I'd like some advice on whether I've just been unlucky and these cards are good, or if I should ask for an upgrade to a better card.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Armchair 14:43 15 Jul 2007

Well, what sort of graphics card is it?

Start > Run > dxdiag > Display tab

IT Phobic 14:50 15 Jul 2007

It shows that I don't know anything about graphics cards!

I've got a CD that says Asus on it. In Control Panel > Display > Settings > Display, it says it is set to 'Asus Extreme AX300 Series'.Is that referring to the Graphics Card?

Armchair 15:09 15 Jul 2007

Yeah, it is. It's no ball of fire, but it should be up to the job for what you want it to do. Obvious thing to do is to install the latest drivers for it. That page in dxdiag I pointed to displays the version and date of your current drivers.

The latest ones are here. Choose whichever operating system you have, then Radeon, then X300:-

click here

IT Phobic 15:13 15 Jul 2007

Thanks for your help.

GaT7 16:07 15 Jul 2007

Before loading the latest drives I would check that the screen resolution is set at the monitor's default/native if it's a TFT. If it's a CRT, try increasing the res one notch at a time. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?