advert cookies on pcadvisor

harps1h 14:41 20 Feb 2008

I have reinstalled search and destroy and have kept it running in the background and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of cookies from idg that try and put themselves on my computer. of course this happens on many sites but as an independant forum i was wondering what other members feel about this invasion of their pc's

Confab 14:46 20 Feb 2008

I don't feel that cookies are an "invasion" to be honest. Just forget about them. After all what harm can they possibly do?

BryanR 14:49 20 Feb 2008

Funniest thing I've heard in year's :-)

Whoever said that PCA is an independent forum? They have to sell adverts to keep it free for us all to use. If you're really concerned you can always install ad-blockers - but then it won't remain free for much longer if we all do that.

Bryan

anskyber 15:15 20 Feb 2008

"but then it won't remain free for much longer if we all do that."

I could not agree more.

I click on one advert a day, it's painless and costs me nothing, the price could be higher without recognising the truth of your comments.

harps1h 15:22 20 Feb 2008

i seemed to have stirred a hornets nest here! but why do we need tracking cookies place on our pc. these are different issue to adverts being on the site which i understand is a neccesity to the modern day web site, what i was wondering then for what purpose is the tracking cookie but to gather data about you habits whilst on any given site. in short watch what you are doing.

feel free to correct me or advise me if my train of thought is wrong, but please do not try to ridicule me. it was simply a question!

anskyber 15:52 20 Feb 2008

No ridicule intended on my part I assure you.

The issue for advertisers is how many people read their ad and by implication are likely to buy their products.

A secondary issue for advertisers and by implication sites like this one is which sites offer the best return for their paid for ad in terms of clicks.

Cookies help with that and it is possible to determine how successful any particular site is on a click per £ basis for advertising.

harps1h 16:03 20 Feb 2008

thank you for a sensible answer.

BryanR 16:51 20 Feb 2008

My response wasn't intended to be taken as ridicule. But having re-read my post, I can see how you thought it was. Apologies again
Bryan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017