ADSL modems, whose are they?

graham 20:55 23 Feb 2003

A thread today re BT calling for the modem when you cancel prompts the question 'whose is it?'. I got a free one from AOL, so if it's free, it's mine,right? If you've bought one from BT, it's yours, right?

mcullum_DX4Life 20:59 23 Feb 2003

id assume its AOL's unless it states somwehere in the contract that it isnt or that it is yours after say a year or so.

he he :-) 21:15 23 Feb 2003

It's AOL until 12 months has passed.

he he :-) 21:15 23 Feb 2003

I meant to say it's AOLs until 12 months has passed

Mollo 19:44 04 Aug 2005

AOL's latest excuse for loss of service is a refusal to accept certain modems i.e. a Netgear non-wireless, because they haven't been "assessed" by AOL. Are they real!!!

turron 10:25 05 Aug 2005

I was with AOL for more than 3 years and have kept the broadband modem as it is now legally mine. I had tremendous problems getting online and the AOL support was crap!! I have now switched to Onetel and am using Mozilla Firefox as my internet browser and Thunderbird as my e-mail system. Best things I could have done.

Stuartli 18:48 05 Aug 2005

The reason is that the modem is "free" is because you used to have to purchase it from an ISP (unless you had your own), as well as pay the cost of enabling broadband on your home telephone.

Now these are provided without charge by the majority of ISPs because of increasing competition, plus lower BT Wholesale charges reducing operating costs for ISPs.

However, in many cases, the modem does eventually become your property - I would assume it will be so at the end of what is generally a minimum 12 month contract.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?