Acer vs Vaio laptops - please help me choose

Granger 16:54 03 Oct 2007

Hi All,

I've been researching the various laptops around and I like the Acer Travelmate 5720 (review on this site) and the Vaio VGN-CR11Z/R (reviewed, er, not on this site). The Acer is about £650 and the Vaio more like £950. I can't see much difference apart from 1 extra MB of RAM, plus the Vaio is slightly lighter and smaller, and alot redder! Have I missed something else that's worth a few hundered quid?

Any other suggestions please shout, particularly a decent mid-range laptop with a 4:3 ratio display.

Also, should I look for a XP spec on a new machine? The Acer has an optional XP config.

Marko797 17:17 03 Oct 2007

My psnl view is that Sony are over-priced, especially when compared to the likes of Acer. Might be worth checking click here if u haven't already.

Evostance 18:52 03 Oct 2007

Do not get an acer laptop. I have had an extremly bad experience with them.

I bought on and it went back for repair 7 times in a year, each time it came back it was scratched and then another problem appeared. Tried to claim refund under manufactors warranty and the sales of goods act but they refused to comply. Tried to offer me a replacement that wasnt as good but pressured them so much that a girl offered me a refund which I gladly took (even though it was half the amount I paid for the laptop)

It took 1month to get a refund from the time it was sent back for inspection. They didnt call me back or email me back, I had to chase it up all the time on 0870 numbers

Jimmy14 20:01 03 Oct 2007

I bought mine in 2005 and it is still in mint condition working perfectly. Never had any issues with it.

Quiet Life 23:25 03 Oct 2007

My acer laptop now over a year old and has been faultless. One small problem is there harddrive and back up are in Fat 32 and you would have problems with system restore if you change harddrive to Ntfs.

Forum Editor 23:59 03 Oct 2007

I don't follow that at all. It's up to you to decide whether you format your hard drive as NTFS or FAT32, and if you run Windows XP or Vista you'll have no problems - both operating systems enable you to convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS.

Granger 10:29 04 Oct 2007

Hi All, thanks alot for the feedback. I found Acer's support a bit rubbish but I didn't need much support as the laptop itself was superb.

Maybe Quiet Life means that the Acer recovery process wouldn't work after a conversion to NTFS? Would that make sense?

Quiet Life 14:57 04 Oct 2007

There are problems using the recovery partition as it must be kept in FAT32. click here
This link explains it better than I can. My Acer had Media Centre and whether Acer are continuing to use FAT32 for Vista I do not know.

cyberhippy 00:39 05 Oct 2007

I currently have a similar problem, I have been looking at the acer 5920 bluetooth option which sitting at around the 800 pound mark,
with a c2duo 7300, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, a 15" 1280x800 res
However I am tempted by the dell 1720 with a
17" UltraSharpTM Wide Screen UXGA (1920x1200) display with TrueLifeTM.
I would be using my laptop for photo editing,video editing,gaming and surfing.
I also have had a wee look at the sony viao and was tempted , however the bangs for bucks? is it worth it?

Quiet Life 15:00 05 Oct 2007

You would be better posting again in a new thread as the experts will not be aware of your posting in this thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone