Acer vs Sony laptop

JaneAtt 16:11 28 Aug 2006

I am currently deciding between two laptops, the Acer 5003WMLi and the Sony FS515E. The differences between them that are causing me trouble are as follows;

1. The Sony has an Intel Celeron 1.7ghz processor whilst the Acer has an AMD Turion 1.8ghz processor. I think the Acer one is better but i'm not sure what difference this will make and if it matters to me?

2. The Sony has an x-black screen which i've heard is quite good but i dont know anything about. Is it a feature worth taking into consideration?

3. Battery time is important to me as i am a student and need to take my laptop out to lectures with me. The sony has a three hour battery but i cant find out what the Acer has. Does anybody know?

The only things i will be using my laptop for are storing i-tunes and photos, word processing, going on the internet and possibly downloading and watching tv programmes (if i can figure out how to do it!). I dont play games or do anything remotely difficult.

I would be grateful for any advice on either the issues i have raised or any other significant differences which may affect me. As is probably clear i am a technophobe so any help will be very gratefully received!!!

johndere 16:25 28 Aug 2006

Both make good laptops, but i would go for the sony, in my mind the make better laptops.

tammer 16:36 28 Aug 2006

There's a little more info on the Acer here:

click here;jsessionid=1544f30b80a1816/shopdata/Notebooks/Aspire/Aspire+5000/product_overview.shopscript

It seems to have 3 hours of life in it too. I don't know about the difference in processors but it probably doesn't make much difference if you're not pushing it too hard with games or complex Excel programs.

The Sony has a bigger hard disk which could be a factor if you've loads of music and photos.

If you decide to get the Acer, make sure that you upgrade the RAM to 512mb.

Tammer

silverous 17:05 28 Aug 2006

The X Black screens are superb, mind you some of the recent acer screens are very good also.

If you have one near you, pop into somewhere like John Lewis - they tend to have a lot of Sony laptops on display and you can see X Black in action there. Sony tends to be pricey so you'll probably get more laptop for your money with acer. Acer also do 'reasonably priced' (i.e. cheap) warranties whereas other manufacturers tend to be more expensive.

sean-278262 21:05 28 Aug 2006

1. The Sony has an Intel Celeron 1.7ghz processor whilst the Acer has an AMD Turion 1.8ghz processor. I think the Acer one is better but i'm not sure what difference this will make and if it matters to me?
-The acer wins here as the turion is 64bit and would kick the celeron in the behind.

2. The Sony has an x-black screen which i've heard is quite good but i dont know anything about. Is it a feature worth taking into consideration?
-As far as I understand the acer ferrais come with Crystalbrite which is acers equivalent to Xblack (my acer compare to that of a friends is better both have the brightness technology but my acer has a wider viewing angle). So as far as I see it this ones a draw.

3. Battery time is important to me as i am a student and need to take my laptop out to lectures with me. The sony has a three hour battery but i cant find out what the Acer has. Does anybody know?
- Ferrais have 3 hours life according to what I know. so both draw again.

The only things i will be using my laptop for are storing i-tunes and photos, word processing, going on the internet and possibly downloading and watching tv programmes (if i can figure out how to do it!). I dont play games or do anything remotely difficult.
- If you are planning on watching TV using a TV tuner card then the acer would find it easier if you get a stick that only supports the processor doing the decoding.

I would be grateful for any advice on either the issues i have raised or any other significant differences which may affect me. As is probably clear i am a technophobe so any help will be very gratefully received!!!

Either laptop will be a good system. Personally I would take the acer over the sony, I prefer the styling and also compared to other people who i know have sonys I know the acer is harder to scratch.

Also a sony laptop sticks out more, given the choice of acer vs sony to a theif they would take the sony any time as they can get rid of them easier as they are desirable.

click here
click here

Where I got mine from and they were a pleasure to deal with.

A

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?