Acer TFT monitors

jarani 22:08 09 Dec 2003

I want to buy Acer TFT monitor AL1721M - any god / adverse comments on Acer or their TFT monitors please ? - they do not appear in many reviews nor seem to win any recommendations - makes me feel nervous - help please - jarani

Stuartli 08:45 10 Dec 2003

There doesn't seem to be a flood of reviews...:-)

Strangely amazon.co.uk states on its website that it is now too late for delivery by Christmas - not much business acumen around there then.

Just for interest, bigpockets click here has just started offering 15in TFTs from Compaq and NEC today at just under £150 - normally price includes delivery.

I'm sure that a Compaq TFT will be of particularly good quality although, of course, a smaller screen size than you seem to require.

Stuartli 08:47 10 Dec 2003

Acer is a well known brand and is particularly noted for its laptops - it also rebadges these for other manufacturers.

igr 00:08 11 Dec 2003

I bought an Acer AL732 (renumbered to something like yours specimen I Think). Mine has built in speakers Brilliant design and good looks in metallic silver. Works exceptionally well - although I prefer it in 1024 x 768 @ 75 hz resolution for day to day use. At a click of a switch you can change it up to 1600 x 1200 (or down)depending on your graphics card and it shows its paces. Doddle to set up and a 3 year warranty. Shop around for best prices.

Stuartli 09:14 11 Dec 2003

Further to earlier comment - I have seen an Acer system on show in Staples with its own 15in TFT monitor and I recall the display being very clear, bright and with excellent colour.

maby66 13:59 12 Dec 2003

Acer AL1731 user here.
Excellent monitor - multiple inputs (DVI, Analogue D-sub, S-VHS and one more (trying to remember off top of head)
Supplied with all cables (some manufacturers do not include DVI cable)
Extremely sharp, bright.
20ms response time on a Hynix TFT panel, as used in many other leading units.
Built in speakers, thin aluminium bezel, sturdy aluminium stand.
1 dead sub pixel on delivery, permanetly on green, not noticeable really.
Acer dead pixel warranty is 3 or more and you get it replaced.
I spent a lot of time looking in to TFT's and this is one of the better ones.

west highland way 19:35 12 Dec 2003

Rob a building society and by a 20" from Apple. Absolutely brilliant for watching dvd's. You'd think that you were in a cinema.
P.S. Joking about the robbery!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)