Acer - Should i buy from them?

version8 16:45 14 Aug 2008

I know from this forum & others that Acer get a bit of a pounding.
But 2 close friends both have Acer's and think they are great.
It's down to 3 now: Acer, Toshiba or Dell.
Not sure which make to go for?

Si_L 01:10 15 Aug 2008

If it has a warranty you should be ok. The company's only seem to come up on these forums if people have bad things to say about them, the majority will not say anything because they are happy, so why bother?

All are well established, you shouldn't have a problem with any.

pchelper001 08:04 15 Aug 2008

I would agree with Si_L. As long as you have a warranty and it covers all that you need in it, then it will be fine. My acer has been going strong for about a year and a half now, and i'm still happy with it.

If you decide to go for a Dell, buy it from your local Tesco :P

dms_05 08:49 15 Aug 2008

Acer warranty help is amongst the best on offer. If you have a problem they will pay for shipping both ways and allow you to make your own collection arrangements with their contract courier (DHL). I have two Acer laptops and have found them to be excellent.

jigr69 09:48 15 Aug 2008

It is true that most times you only hear about a company when something goes wrong. I have two Acer laptops, bought from Laptopsdirect - one has been fine, the other (which has a 3 year gold warranty) has been a pain.

Read my experience on this link : click here

Needless to say I won't be buying another laptop from Acer. We also have a Dell laptop and has been repaired twice under warranty at home, with no fuss or hassle from Dell.

spuds 11:31 15 Aug 2008

I have two friends who purchased Acer laptops on promotional offer from Tesco. One had a problem, which was soon rectified, by insisting that Tesco dealt with the matter.Both people have been satisfied on the whole with the products that they have purchased.

Acer like most other companies. produce thousands of products, and there is the law of averages, that some goods might bring poor comments regarding failures and service. You seldom hear of the good results, so its a case of 'take the chances where ever you buy'.

jigr69 11:42 15 Aug 2008

I think it is also the case of how large the company is that sells you the laptop. I imagine that Tesco would have far more muscle than LaptopsDirect when it comes to getting a company like Acer to honour warranties etc.

version8 15:53 15 Aug 2008

Cheers for the advice everyone.

I've manged to get a real great deal through Toshiba.
Which offers extended warranty for free.
And also a hefty % off the list price.

chub_tor 17:56 15 Aug 2008

Toshiba - great choice, had mine for over a year, never missed a beat. They advise you about software updates too.

spuds 20:24 15 Aug 2008

I am surprised the forum editor as not offered a comment about Toshiba laptops. If I recall rightly, he as owned and mention this product on the forum ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?