Acer Laptop - under warranty, unable to repair

ranee 13:34 28 Feb 2009

I have an Acer laptop covered by an extended warranty (purchased through Shopacer. It has been returned for repair twice once to acerwarranty.co.uk and the second time to acer-euro.com for a faulty/flickering screen. The first time I was informed it had been repaired and the second time the screen replaced. Paperwork stated it had been tested. However the fault returned almost immediately.

The first repair took three weeks, the second four weeks plus hours of our time to uninstall/reinstall hardware, organise paperwork and packaging, wait in for couriers and of course the problems of being left without it for weeks.

Could someone please advise my rights as far as how much time and how many repairs to I have to attempt before I can insist on a replacement laptop?

Many thanks.

Forum Editor 13:36 28 Feb 2009

the computer?

ranee 14:10 28 Feb 2009

2/3/07 - with an extended 3 year warranty

tullie 14:20 28 Feb 2009

And where from?

tullie 14:20 28 Feb 2009

Sorry,just noticed

ranee 14:23 28 Feb 2009

Acerwarranty don't pick up the phone and provide no email, they say to write in! (Thanks for quick responses.)

spuds 15:06 28 Feb 2009

The laptop is still within the 12 month retailer's responsibility for dealing with problems. Have you contacted them about the problems you have had!.

Items like laptops are regarded under consumer law slightly different, and a longer period of reliability is usually expected. The extended warranty should make things easier!.

For your rights contact Consumer Direct click here

ranee 15:11 28 Feb 2009

As it's nearly two years since I bought it and was over a year later that I first reported the fault I thought it had to be dealt with under the extended warranty, the retailer only being responsible for it during the first year? Is this not the case. I'll check the wording in the warranty.

Forum Editor 16:03 28 Feb 2009

which you would normally expect to last a few years but it breaks down after a year or so, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect of your contract under the Sale of Goods Act.

This means that your recourse is to the retailer from whom you bought the laptop, and not the manufacturer. Your protection under UK Consumer law overrides anything which may be provided for under the terms of a warranty or an extended warranty, and you should look to the retailer for satisfaction in this case.

You're on unsure ground when it comes to demanding a new replacement machine after almost two years, but nevertheless you are entitled to what you originally paid for - a fully working computer. It's obvious from what you've said that this machine has a fault, and that two attempts to repair it have failed. In your shoes I would be pressing the retailer hard to get some satisfaction, and I would certainly be mentioning a replacement. They've had two bites at the cherry, and it's time to stand on your consumer rights. Quote the Sale of Goods Act, and its provisions for goods that are not of sufficient durability.

ranee 16:15 28 Feb 2009

I am composing a letter to the retailer (no more premium rate phone call attempts, I don't want them getting their hands on anymore of my money!).

Although the laptop is now almost two years old the fault first occurred after 20 months which is unsatisfactory.

I'll post the outcome when I hear.

Thanks again for your help.

ranee 23:36 24 Mar 2009

Shopacer have obviously gone under as the sales line does not answer. I have been advised by Consumer Direct that this is likely as they were just a trading name for CET(UK)Ltd who have ceased trading. I stupidly purchased the laptop with my Visa debit card so don't have credit card back-up. They suggest that I try claiming from the warranty company but I'm not holding out any hope of a replacement. They will probably insist I return it a third time for another attempt at repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?