Acer broke my battery - what are my rights?

tadpole1 13:43 05 Jul 2008

I sent my laptop back to Acer with a problem with the hard drive. They replaced the hard drive and I received the laptop back yesterday. However I quickly discovered that the laptop will only work while connected to the mains. I've contacted Acer who said the battery is only covered for 6 months (the computer is 10 months old) and I would have to purchase another battery. As my battery was working perfectly well before I sent the computer to Acer surely this means the battery was broken whilst in Acers care and they should replace it free of charge. I'm not sure of my consumer rights but surely a battery can't break just like that for no reason.

jack 13:55 05 Jul 2008

Physically or simply not taking a charge?

Pamy 14:12 05 Jul 2008

Telephone "Consumer Direct" and see what they advise

tadpole1 14:16 05 Jul 2008

When the laptop is plugged in the battery is showing as fully charged. However when I unplugged it then the laptop simply turned off / crashed.

jack 15:02 05 Jul 2008

The battery terminals to ensure they are all present.
Also the same with the Terminals on the computer body.

Some models of Laptop[I cannot say it this is the here] have the Hard drive under[or above the battery- if you look down from the top]
If this is the case here then it is likely the terminals have been dislodged or damaged.
I would return the whole thing to Acer with a cogent letter covering your findings.

spuds 16:23 05 Jul 2008

Consumer Direct click here

Like jack as suggested, send a strongly worded letter to Acer, pointing out that you believe the laptop was not returned to you in full working condition, and you reserve your rights on this matter.

Is there any company near to you, who as battery testing facilities?.

tadpole1 17:58 05 Jul 2008

Thankyou, I shall send them an email now and if I don't have any luck then I shall contact Consumer Direct

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?