Acer 803lmi - the best laptop on the market?

Liquid K9 19:07 16 Feb 2004

After months (no joke) of research, the best laptop I can find is the Acer 803lmi. Both for value for money, battery life, features etc. -- the entire 'mobile computer package' if you will.

But what you think? is this truly the best laptop, or do you know of a better more deserving laptop?

(btw> I'm in the market to buy, so your response could very easily be of legitimate use)

Liquid K9 19:13 16 Feb 2004

Here are the Acer Travelmate 803lmi specs:

Intel Centrino 1.6 Ghz
512mb RAM
40gb HDD
15" screen
Dual format DVD-RW
Lithium Ion battery (5.5hrs)
Smart card security system
Wifi
Bluetooth
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

more detailed specs [url=click here]here[/url]

Djohn 02:16 17 Feb 2004

Nice laptop with good specs. Do check out the resolution of the screen before buying though. The 14.1 inch is fine at 1024x768 The 15 screen is 1400x1050. will be very detailed but extremely small Icons and text, especially in web forums.

The resolution can be lowered to give larger text but the quality of the display will deteriorate. TFT's give off their best display at the native resolution. j.

Liquid K9 16:56 17 Feb 2004

I didnt know that...

would it deteriorate much at 1280x1024, which is my standard resolution. 15" or not.

I might have to deal with it, its still a good price per feature lappy

Djohn 02:22 22 Feb 2004

Sorry to be so late in replying to your question. I lost track of the thread.

It's difficult to say how much the display would deteriorate and I suppose also depends on each persons view. I have a 17" TFT desktop monitor set to it's native resolution of 1280x1024 and the display is razor sharp.

All graphics and text within programs/applications are fine at this size. Even web pages are large enough to read with comfort, if using IE as your browser you can always increase the size of text as well.

The problem only occurs when you go into forums like PCA and any other forum where you have the questions/answers laid out in tables. [I think that's the correct term]. Then the text can be on the small side and is not adjustable.

I have tried using mine at a lower resolution. 1024x768 and although the text is now much larger and easier to read, it is no where near as sharp and the edges of the text appear slightly blurred, this is more tiring to the eyes than using the higher resolution and smaller text.

I now leave my 17" at it's native resolution of 1280x1024 at all times and apart from the slight problem mentioned above I,m really pleased with it.

One tip for making your text sharper is to use "Clear Type" setting from control panel. This will smooth out the text for you, but you only have the one option. On/Off. You can though go to the Microsoft website and fine tune the setting from a selection of six panels. This is a very good feature, I found it to help a lot.

If this link works correctly, you'll be able to see what I mean. click here

Regards. j.

Djohn 02:26 22 Feb 2004

Yep! it works. Have a look at the page and click on stage 2 This will then show you the six panels and how they affect your text. I have the shortcut saved in my favourites and can access/alter at any time to suite. j.

Stuartli 08:25 22 Feb 2004

Acer is probably the biggest laptop manufacturer in the world, with so many other companies rebranding its products.

But it might be worth investigating the £999 Gericom laptop on sale at Aldi from next Thursday (26th)....:-)

There are various threads on this offer in the forums.

peemp 13:27 24 Feb 2004

does anyone have an opinion of the acer 291 lci? i'm looking at one to buy.

Pumas 19:36 24 Feb 2004

I use the Acer TravelMate 804LCib and I find that 1400*1050 is OK. I don't feel any "discomfort" reading this forum but maybe that's just me.

The 804LCib is very good and as the 803 is similar I think that it will be good too.

Pumas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?