£500 ish pc spec

Ameretto 14:46 21 Apr 2008

Help wanted, looking at getting a base unit for approx £500, but getting totally lost looking for something that can:

320gb hard drive
Handle 5 or 6 applications at once without crashing / grinding to a halt (ie resource intensive)Also use Photoshop again memory hungry.

Can handle 2 monitors, a 1900X1200, and a smaller TFT, ( I currently have an old dual monitor PCI card if required)

I am getting totally confused between Duo Core, Quad Core, MHz, etc etc. I assume taht I will require at least 2mb RAM?

At the moment it doesn't have to handle gaming, but that may come in the future.

Any help appreciated with Specs, I have had a look at Cougar, but am just floundering in teh dark.

Thanks in advance

GaT7 17:04 21 Apr 2008

Arguably the best CPU to go for is a QUAD-core, as the number of applications/games that support 4-cores or more will become mainstream. (Some info on muti-core CPUs click here_(computing)

For the greatest flexibility, build it yourself - but this could be a bit on the expensive side (would be cheaper than Cougar, Novatech, etc though).

If a self-build is not an option, consider the following:

• NON-gaming PC (upgradeable to gaming standard - see below)
Dell Inspiron 530 with a QUAD-core CPU, 2Gb RAM, HD 2400 Pro*, etc - DE-select the monitor: click here = 359 delivered, or £344 with cashback (click here)

• Gaming PC (roomier case with more upgrade options)
Dell XPS 420 with a DUAL-core CPU, 2Gb RAM, 8800GT graphics, etc: click here = £475, or £455 with cashback (click here)

Get 2GB RAM extra for either from click here = £25.84 delivered, or 24.30 with cashback (click here). I chose this particular RAM as it's cheaper than Dell's upgrades to 4Gb (i.e. £35-40), & is guaranteed to work.

If you get the 1st PC, you can add a 8800GT in the future without a PSU upgrade click here. However, anything more powerful & physically longer in size, you 'may' need to get a bigger case & more powerful the PSU. G

* For the 1st PC - HD 2400 support for 2 simultaneous displays (the 8800 will be fine too): click here & scroll down:

• Two independent display controllers
Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display

• Two integrated DVI display outputs
- Primary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)
- Secondary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI only)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?