£419.34 PC set-up...opinions please

ross_mcculloch 16:18 03 Jan 2008

Please let me know what you think of this non-gaming setup (will be used for watching video, DVDs, basic photo editing, listening to music, surfing, wordprocessing, downloading) for £419.34

The only bits I'm swithering on are...
Do I need 2xHDs or should I go for one huge one? Is the motherboard ok for my needs?
Kingston or Corsair memory?

Here's the spec:

CPU

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6750 (2.66Ghz, 4MB Cache, 1333Mhz FSB)

CPU Cooler

Standard CPU heatsink & fan

Motherboard

Asrock CONROE1333-1394

Memory

2.0GB Kingston DDR2 667mhz (2x 1GB)

Hard Drive

80GB S-ATA2 3.0Gb/s

Second hard drive

250GB S-ATA2 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive

20x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Graphics card

NVidia GeForce 7300LE 512MB

Sound card

Creative X-FI Xtreme 7.1 Audio

Operating System

Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

PSU

400W

Case

Asus TA-210

Warranty

3 Year Bronze Warranty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total

Default Price: 319.67

Customizations: 99.67

Price as Customized: 419.34

961 16:28 03 Jan 2008

For back up reasons I'd usually take 2 hard drives

Memory usually has long warranty. Kingston has a good name if not more expensive

'Fraid I'm still a Windows XP guy over Vista if there is an option, for all sorts of reasons

Don't know about the warranty terms or costing, but if this is an expensive add on I'd consider one year instead. Generally, most problems these days are software related which usually aren't covered. The hardware, if it works for the first two or three months, will usually work until you are sick of it and ready to buy a new computer

ross_mcculloch 16:30 03 Jan 2008

The warranty shown is the standard free one, how come you're XP over Vista?

961 19:09 03 Jan 2008

Because of the functionality and the availabilty of software that works on XP but won't on Vista

You trawl the computer forums (inc this) you'll find loads still go the XP route and folk like Dell now offer the choice

ross_mcculloch 19:12 03 Jan 2008

I really have no idea what os to choose now, I really don't want to go backwards!

polish 21:57 03 Jan 2008

the only problems i have had was the hp printer was not supported and a couple of patches for progs otherwise vista is very good

harps1h 22:54 04 Jan 2008

vista is a beautiful os provided your equipment is up to scratch, so use it. as for the memory go to click here where you will get good memory

The Kestrel 12:00 05 Jan 2008

I have been running with Vista Home Premium for several months now on a PC I bought from Cougar. I have had no compatability problems other than having to download updated drivers for my Epson printer and updated Olympus camera software. These were both easily found on the Epson and Olympus web sites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?