£400 to spend on a laptop, two possible candidates

sheargraphix 14:51 28 Dec 2006

Hi Guys,

Im looking to pick up a decent laptop, ive got about £400 to spend on it and im looking for some advice. Ive found the following laptop that looks great but what i want to know is what the Sempron processors are like? Ive never had or for that matter used one.

Any advice would be great, ive always been more of a software man myself but i have done some upgrading of RAM, new hard drive and graphics card in my pc.

Below is the Laptop in question:

click here

Ive also noticed this laptop, it has an intel processor. The specs arent as good, however im wondering if because its an intel processor that it will be better than the 1.8ghz Sempron.

click here

Thanks,
Ross.

961 16:24 28 Dec 2006

I would say that it may be worth concentrating on the guy you buy from and who will sort things if they go pear shaped rather than the specification (IMHO)

All these laptops will perform, some better than others, but at any given price point the difference will be marginal

HP have a good reputation

However, I'd be inclined to go for Dell or Evesham because of the service if you have a problem. We bought a laptop from Dell at £329 early in 2006. It goes fine. It ain't super fast, but it works. If you buy from a high street retailer you have another step to get a problem sorted. Ask Comet what happens if your laptop goes wrong.

season8 16:31 28 Dec 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?