3g v broadband

tickhiller 22:17 30 Jan 2007

I am considering using a tmobile 3g card to connect to the internet on my laptop and getting rid of my home phone. I currently get 1meg broadband and I'm told that the 3g speed in my area is similar. How reliable is 3g, has anyone made the switch and found any problems or recommendations. It's a big step getting rid of the land line but it is only there for the internet. Comments please

steven_frost 12:50 31 Jan 2007

3G is no were near the speed of broadband also look at the cost you get only 1mb free what is it after that if it's just to download emails then fine but anything more i would have 2nd thoughts about it, i think you'll find that the cost of data will be alot more than your paying now for your BB

Jackcoms 15:28 31 Jan 2007

If you've got money to burn and want a slow connection, opt for the 3G.

Otherwise, I think we're talking 'don't touch' and 'bargepole'.

tickhiller 17:00 31 Jan 2007

Thanks for your comments have you used 3g are the official figures unrealistic?
The blurb on the t mobile site says unlimited downloads (which the small print says 3GB)enough for me.
My rural BB connection will never get any faster, the guy in the t mobile shop reckons you can get upto 1.3meg speed. I was interested to hear from anyone who uses the 3g network.
I will sit back and watch for a bit.

zigzagtoes 09:22 02 Feb 2007

3G speeds are nowhere near that, its more like 300kb/s, which is around 8 times faster than GPRS. When taking out an online package (such as web n walk on t-mob) with any network provider, make sure it is 3G you are getting and not GPRS.

Prices are also far too high at the minute for anyone to even consider taking the plunge into losing a broadband connection just for this type of connection.

As an occassional user of 3G on the Three network, I have a 56meg add-on at 15quid a month, which is more than enough for regular chat use (sticking mainly to mobile specific sites to cut down on bandwidth usuage, as mobile site pages are usually no more than 10kb/page), downloading emails, and downloading any security software updates.

If you must have mobile web for on the move (laptop for example), then sure, get the best package you can for the cash. If its mainly for browsing only, I recommend using GPRS if you dont mind the speeds (around 5kb/s), on the orange network, this can cost 1quid per day (using payg sim), and has only a fair usage policy which seems to be huge as the connection speed wont see you often top a gig a week. I use this method mostly when browsing myself, plus, if I spend 10quid or more a month, (I usually spend 15quid with this method), I recieve 3000 off-peak texts, and free 7pm-midnight calls every night to other orange mobiles).

FYI, am a very heavy mobile user (1000+ mins a month) and have been using mobile internet connections since 2001, currently I use two network providers.

pavvi 10:12 02 Feb 2007

It's something called HDPSPA (or something like that ) that will get you 1megabit speed. 3G is 342mbit/s. To get the higher speed you would have to wait until tmobile have upgraded their masts. There is also the potential for loss of service in storms. Plus an awful lot of people in Wales and the South West of England were without any service for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year because part of the switching centre went down

pavvi 10:14 02 Feb 2007

As far as tmobile webnwalk packages are concerned, they are good value: 7.50 a month for 1gb access when taken with a phone plan, the standalone charges are different but are still pretty reasonable. Tmobile easily has the best value data solution across all the networks

tickhiller 18:20 02 Feb 2007

I obviously need to ask more questions at the TMobile shop, it seemed so simple at first sight - a laptop card, 1meg speed, 1GB per month all for £30 a month.
Is the network prone to failing in bad weather?
Is anyone out there using this Tmobile service and could recommend it or otherwise?

Mr Mistoffelees 18:40 02 Feb 2007

"1meg speed, 1GB per month all for £30 a month."

I have to say that looks like remarkably poor value compared to BB over a land-line.

spacecadet 18:58 02 Feb 2007

on the t mobile website there is a coverage postcode check.
to get 3g you must be in an area to recieve it,otherwise it reverts back to gprs automatically.
I would suggest coverage is patchy at best,i would definately 100% advise not to replace broadband with 3g there is no comparison no matter what the t-mobile tells you.
3g is for mobile access users,i use the £7.50 web n walk per month plan as part of my mobile phone package then hook it up to my laptop via bluetooth dongle.the speed i get is 115 kbs which does for email and surfing on my travels ,ive also added onspeed but compared to my home bb connection worlds apart
to sum up,dont do it !

tickhiller 20:34 02 Feb 2007

I think I have got the message, I will rethink my plans, keep my BB for when I am at home and look at a web n walk plan for when I am out and about.
Thanks for your time folks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?