3G Data Cards for Mobile Connectivity on the move

Joynesey 18:39 12 Mar 2005

As a business user, I would like to use a PCMCIA Data Card for internet/email connectivity for a laptop whilst on the move.

Network tarifs aside, are there any real differences between the various cards offerred by Vodafone/Orange etc?

Any user reccomendations out there?

John-259217 01:08 13 Mar 2005

I`ve used Vodafones first GPRS card and I bought their original 3G one as soon as I could get my hands on it.

Coverage is the biggest issue, I tend to use mine in fixed locations some of which are still without 3G but, as it switches to GPRS I`ve yet to find anywhere (in the South of England anyway) where I`ve had no service at all.

Connection speeds on 3G run at 384kbs so downloads of several megs are no problem, I`d recomend a download manager on larger files as calls can drop just like a mobile, frustrating when you`ve got 49MB out of 50 and have to start again!

I can`t really comment on the other networks kit as I have`nt tried it but hardware-wise I doubt there`s any great difference.

It`s more down to which one you prefer and who`s got the best offer on at the moment. Unless of course anyone else has further info on them.

Its easy to forget the cost involved and surf the net as you normally would, some of my bills exceed the GDP of a small country!!!

John

g0slp 06:54 14 Mar 2005

"Its easy to forget the cost involved and surf the net as you normally would, some of my bills exceed the GDP of a small country!!! "

Ain't that the truth!!!

Joynesey 16:09 21 Mar 2005

John, many thanks for that, certainly food for thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone