>30GB // 8Mb ISP (£15-20) ...

lukealexander 09:50 10 May 2006

I am moving house to a non cabled area in the next week and (obviously) need broadband access. There is already a BT line there, so I will be having a new BT account. I would prefer to stay unbundled since I would rather do without the hassle just now.

At my current house I have an unbundled Bulldog 4MB line which was initially very good but now I have constant DNS problems which mean I have to use a proxy server for web surfing.

I believe the new address can support 4-5Mbps so an "up to 8mbps" line would be ideal. I download a lot of live U2 material through torrents as well as streaming a lot of video/audio, so I would prefer a 30GB+ allowance.

To recap:
a) 8mbps
b) 30GB allowance or more
c) unbundled provider

I have been looking at the likes of Tiscali, Eclipse etc but reading some of the horror stories I'm almost tempted to go for dial-up :-p

lukealexander 09:51 10 May 2006

I should also add I have my own wireless modem so that would not be required. I would prefer not to have a 12month contract.

lukealexander 17:32 11 May 2006

jimmybond 17:37 11 May 2006
  lukealexander 17:42 11 May 2006

I don't really like that site. It seems misleading - for example it lists the monthly cost of Telewest 2MB as £8.99 when I know that is a 3month introductory price. Never mind the fact I said I wanted to remain with my current provider (BT).

It also recommended 512k services when I selected all the "heavy user" type options....

bluto1 22:43 11 May 2006

Do not go near Tiscali. I`ve got it for another 9 months and wish I was back on dial up. The customer service was better.

lukealexander 23:53 11 May 2006

Yeah, the more I read about it around the forums the more I see it seems "Poor".

At the moment I have been looking at Newnet & Eclipse and UKFSA...they all have decent packages at the £19 mark but they all seem too good to be true (hence usually are)

The Spires 23:57 11 May 2006

Nildram 50 Gig on peak allowance, 1 month contract, as much as you want off peak. click here

lukealexander 00:04 12 May 2006

I hear Nildram are good, but they are £25 a month PLUS a £50 setup charge...

Stuartli 00:08 12 May 2006

Nildram isn't a charity, especially on a one month contract basis...:-)

lukealexander 00:25 12 May 2006

It certainly isn't. If I had money to burn, I would probably have Zen internet since they seem very highly rated. As a poor student...I don't lol.
UKFSN (not fsa as i previously said) seem to have good prices.

I suppose it is all a matter of service, and how much speed you actually get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone