2D graphics intensive PC required

Diodorus Siculus 17:46 20 Jul 2006

A friend who does a lot of work with book edititng (mostly PDFs of about 1gb each) needs a new PC and asked me for suggestions.

These are mostly historical books and have a lot of images / photos in them. Often he has two or three open at a time to compare them.

Anyway, I am not sure what to suggest to him.

I was thinking along the lines of the one below - he has a budget of £1300 but it will be a one off investment for many years to come. Can anyone suggest what might be best - the one below is probably overkill because of the graphics card in it but the rest of the spec is good it seems.

In short, does he need the graphics card in that machine or will a much lesser one do for 2D graphics work? He has a 320GB external drive for backup purposes but the two internals will be used in a RAID.

Computer Supplies from Novatech
click here

We have a 24inch widescreen monitor so that will not be a concern.

Diodorus Siculus 17:49 20 Jul 2006

By the way, it's the Executor 950 we are looking at.

GaT7 18:25 20 Jul 2006

Direct link to the Executor 950 click here, with detailed specs at right column.

Yes, I'd say a much lesser g'card will easily suffice for the work he does (even less RAM & about everything else too!). The question is will Novatech be willing to sell the Executor 950 with a much lower-specced g'card? G

Diodorus Siculus 18:32 20 Jul 2006

I'm not so sure about "much less of everything" :-)I've used his current machine (Athlon 64 3500 with 1gb RAM) and it slows down a lot when there are a couple of graphics intensive PDFs open along with Photoshop.

Anyway, if someone can suggest something better, I'd be happy!

nigg 18:32 20 Jul 2006

or a barebones like click here

GaT7 19:06 20 Jul 2006

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. It wasn't important either - that's why I put it in brackets : ).

I reckon any modern day PCI-E g'card, even lower-end, would be fine. 2D performance in these cards are usually at a high level, & there isn't much difference between them & their higher end cousins in this respect. G

ade.h 19:07 20 Jul 2006

Want something really powerful? Wait for the Conroe chip. Should be imminent.

De Marcus™ 20:58 20 Jul 2006

I'd agree with ade.h on this one, hanging around (not long now) for the Intel Conroe chips with your friends budget would ensure he gets a good long term investment, i.e. it'll be a long time before any conroe chip shows it age if preliminary reviews are anything to go by.

Diodorus Siculus 08:18 22 Jul 2006

Will have to order over the weekend :-(

We will probably order the one I linked to above and then swap out the graphics card for a lesser model unless anyone can suggest an alternative.

the barebones suggested by nigg will be a second option that I might feel like having a go at.

Diodorus Siculus 18:10 24 Jul 2006

Due for delivery tomorrow morning :-)

They downgraded the graphics card for me with no problems.

Diodorus Siculus 14:43 25 Jul 2006

Delivered and up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?