£250 netbook

GRIDD 11:00 20 Sep 2008

There's a flood of these things online and I would like one. So which is better?

Flash HDD vs SATA HDD
LINPUS vs Windows

Can someone help?

It's solely for a bit of music, mineseeper and general web browsing on the moooove!

Thanks guys.

Oh click here this is what I'm looking at.

GRIDD 11:23 20 Sep 2008
  peter99co 12:15 20 Sep 2008
  GRIDD 12:53 20 Sep 2008

The Acer One 1gb looks better. I just don't know between flash and SATA drives. I'm thinking the Linux version WITH 120gb sata.

DrATty 12:29 24 Sep 2008

I've had an advent 4211 (MSI Wind) for a month. It's excellent but does cost £280; more than you want to spend. It's not without its faults but I'm impressed all the same.
It's great on the Web and with Office. It slows down with intensive tasks. Graphics wise, don't expect to play modern games.
When choosing a netbook, the following might be helpful.
Try the keyboard and trackpad if you can. They differ; sometimes trackpads vary between releases of the same device.
Get a matt screen. Glossy screens aren't very good outside.
SSD drives are more resistant to bumps than hard drives, they are lighter and are faster in some ways. They cost more per Gb too.
Think of how you will install software without a CD/DVD drive if your model doesn't have one.
I wanted XP on my netbook. Linux is great in its own way but it can be difficult to configure. Even installing programs can be complicated. Vista uses more resources than XP though some users sat it runs more smoothly than XP on the Advent. XP Home is available on many netbooks and is compatible with Windows software. Not everything in XP Pro/Media Centre is supported but I find it perfect.
Make sure you have enough battery life. My Advent runs for 2.5 hours on its 3 cell battery. I thought this was plenty but I use it more than I thought I would and I'd like more now. Bigger batteries are available as upgrades or as an option with new machines. They can be expensive. External power packs are cheap and popular.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie