20.1 TFT Monitors

Dekka123 23:08 04 Jan 2006

I am thinking of purchasing a 20.1TFT monitor. Would appreciate some advice on which one. I dont do any gaming but do a bit of video editing. I have a NVideo 5200 Geforce with 128 mb Ram. Running Win XP SP2. Any advice appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 18:18 19 Feb 2006

Did you get it?

Cara2 20:53 19 Feb 2006

I am also interested in buying a 19/20" monitor.

Did you make a purchase?

Does anyone know if there a big difference between 19/20" monitors (apart from the cost!).

Also widescreen? Any thoughts on the pros or cons? Tempted to go for the Philips on the A list PCPRO.

Thanks
Cara

Dekka123 23:40 19 Feb 2006

Hi Diodorus Siculus and Cara2 I did make a purchase I bought a 20" Belinea wide screen from Gladiator Computers at Derby. Its the second screen I have had from them and I have found them very reliable. It is the first Wide Screen I have had and I am very pleased with it. The picture quality is brilliant sharp and crisp. I was a bit wary at first but I am glad I went for it. Sorry I have been a long time posting this but I have been away for a few days.

Diodorus Siculus 00:24 20 Feb 2006

[quote]Does anyone know if there a big difference between 19/20" monitors[/quote]

What sort of differences are you thinking of? For general use, I really can't see much advantage in going for 20inch - my 19inch is wonderful buy at times there seems to be a lot of wasted space.

Having said that, maybe if I started to use a 20inch or bigger, I'd like it too :-)

Cara2 12:32 20 Feb 2006

I recall in the early days paying to upgrade my computer from 14" to a 15" monitor. It was a worthwhile upgrade in terms of monitor size.

However, is the impression of size difference so apparent in the upper end of the scale?

JYPX 14:58 20 Feb 2006

The main issue for me (and I would love to buy one) with a 20.1 TFT would be the 1600 x 1200 native resolution, (isn't "native" a great word? - it means: you're stuck with it).

JYPX 15:56 20 Feb 2006

crx1600 - I didn't know that. You seem to have some knowledge of this subject. I have noticed that every single 19" TFT that I have come across has a 1280 x 1024 native resolution. Is that for marketing reasons or due to a technical issue? I am not convinced that this "no choice" option is suitable for every user! There are still huge numbers of people using a 17" CRT set at 800 x 600. One day in the very near future they are going to walk into PC world and discover that the CRT option has gone forever....(maybe it has already happened!) Could the manufacturers produce the 5:4 equivalent of 1024 x 768 in a TFT if they wanted to?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?