1MB ADSL Broadband

Zak 22:17 26 Mar 2004

I am considering upgrading from my current 512KB/sec service.

Most sites when browsing load fairly quickly

I do not use my internet connection for gaming or constant downloading of very large files. Ocassionally I watch streamed video.

Any views as to whether it is worthwhile paying out the extra £7 to £10 per month?

Forum Editor 23:02 26 Mar 2004

based on how much you want a bit of extra speed.

I use the Internet a great deal, as you can imagine and I have not made the move to a 1Mb service. For me the extra turn of speed isn't sufficiently impressive to justify the additional cost.

leo49 23:40 26 Mar 2004

Well I for one wouldn't go back to 512 - makes such a difference when downloading and using flash sites.But as FE says you've got to weigh it up according to your internet usage and the opportunity cost.

simonp1 08:28 27 Mar 2004

i must admit, i have thought long and hard about this..i do alot of gaming..but after many conversations i have decided its not personally going to benifit me. If you do a lot of downloading..then it will, but the whole issue really is, whats your budget and do you use it enough to get the value for money.

byfordr 09:39 27 Mar 2004

When I was looking for my Dad the average prices for half a meg connection was about £23 (£27/28 - BT)I was already using the 2mb service with these guys click here (£37.50) and saw they did a 1mb for £27.50 inc. I went round a friends who had standard BT 512k bb, it seemed so slow incomparision. I'm glad I got him the 1mb connection. Downloads go through a lot quicker (subject to the site you are downloading from) have a look at click here I personally would say the few quid extra is worth the cost.

HTH

R

anchor 09:53 27 Mar 2004

I have had 512 from Pipex for 2 years, and find it adequate. The only exception is receiving streaming video, when the extra speed could make an improvement.

However, as I only do this occasionally, I do not think the extra cost is worth it. At then end, its your decision.

Forum Editor 11:06 27 Mar 2004

OK - you've convinced me. I've just ordered the upgrade to the BT.Yahoo 1Mb service to see for myself. I can downgrade again in 3 months with no penalty if I want to, so plenty of time to do a proper evaluation.

I suspect that what I call the 'dishwasher syndrome' will operate here - you don't think it's necessary until you've got it, then you wonder how you lived without it.

The Spires 12:28 27 Mar 2004

My regrade to 1 meg should be completed on Wednesday. I was concerned that my line might not be up to it but it seems it is. :-) :-)

leo49 12:38 27 Mar 2004

Problem is familiarity breeds contempt and is habit forming.Switching from 56 to 512 was great but you soon get used to it and want more - same with 1gb and soon you're researching 2gb suppliers. Broadband should perhaps only be available on prescription.......

Forum Editor 12:52 27 Mar 2004

with the efficiency of the BT.Yahoo upgrade process. A quick phone-call to the help-desk (waited no more than a minute or so)did the trick - an online line test to check that I can move from 512kbps to 1Mb, followed by a billing amendment, and I was signed up.

The changeover requires an engineer's visit to my exchange apparently, and that will be done within 7 days. I'll receive a call on my mobile from the engineer who's actually doing the changeover because I have to be offline for 30 minutes while he/she does the work.

Amyfa 13:12 27 Mar 2004

Been upgraded to 1MB for about 2 weeks now :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?