11 pirate computer retailers listed by M.S.

sunnystaines 08:51 14 Aug 2009

click here

have you dealt with these outfits

[Computer Clinic, Bolton ; Computer Port, Walsall; Eazy PC, Redcar; Goldcast Computers, Stockton-on-Tees; Matrix Computers, Stockton-on-Tees; PC Assist, Oldham; Personal Touch Computers Ltd, Portsmouth; Platinum Computers, Hartlepool; Spacebar Computers, Litherland, Liverpool, and The Little Computer Shop, Griffithstown, Pontypool]

961 10:09 14 Aug 2009

"Microsoft reminds that consumers should be provided with backup discs"

What a laugh!

You try getting a system back up disc from virtually every computer supplier from the smallest to the likes of Dell

You'll be told it ain't gonna happen. Not unless you....pay a fee, often large, or...buy a retail copy (!)

And if you write to Microsoft to complain, as I did some years ago, you'll be told they don't encourage (that means they actively discourage) the issue of backup discs in their efforts to combat piracy. Eventually, after much to and fro, they gave me a retail copy on a one off basis but only after perusing the list of software I had bought retail and registered with them over the years

That policy may, or may not, have changed, but the system remains totally unhelpful to computer buyers generally

sunnystaines 11:43 14 Aug 2009

I agree with that.

sonyboy 12:27 14 Aug 2009

Me too..The Backup disk scenario is strongly advised by Microsoft ..and then they quote the"combat piracy" stance in the same breath!
The Recovery Disk bundles don't impress me either.If anyone ever asks my opinion on buying a PC from a supplier who only offers a "Recovery" disk option....I usually suggest they find a company who offers a genuine version of whatever O/S they decide to go for!

bluto1 22:05 14 Aug 2009

I recently bought my present PC and asked for a genuine version of my OS. I got it and have had to use it in a repair operation, so I guess it's a true version. I'd love to give you his name and business address but I've recently heard that he's being investigated for something to do with PCs. My front door is well and truly locked.

Forum Editor 09:00 15 Aug 2009

asking them to clarify their position with regard to the provision of Windows software disks with new computers.

I'll update you when I have a response.

Forum Editor 09:55 15 Aug 2009

I would know how to spell Microsoft, wouldn't you?

sunnystaines 10:34 15 Aug 2009

FE

Its a lot easier to to do SFC /SCANNOW with an OEM disc than a back up hidden partition.

dagnammit 11:03 15 Aug 2009

We haven't had problems with recovery disks, either shipped with the machine or the ones it prompts you to make. But then we don't keep the computers long enough for deathly hardware failures to occur.

I was always led to believe that the reason they don't supply geniune OEM windows disks (the shiny gold ones) was A. Piracy and B. Cost.

Dell supply a windows installation disk that is doctored to fit their PCs only. eMachines supplied a recovery disk, when I used it I formatted the entire drive (removing a recovery partition) as it turns out the "recovery disk" was a windows disk.

The only two mfrs I have bought from that prompt you to make a recovery disk (image) when you first boot the computer are Compaq and Toshiba. Toshiba at least had the courtesty to supply a couple of blank disks in the box.

dagnammit 11:05 15 Aug 2009

Bad spelling & typing errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?