Wireless Networking. Adding a new machine.

googlesnort2 19:29 28 Jan 2006

I am trying to add my neighbor's pc to my wireless network so that we can share an internet connection.

So far she has purchased a wireless router. Does she still need a wireless network card for her PC? Or is there some way to pick up her wireless router (connected to her PC ethernet port)with my wireless router and add them both as a pc on my network?

What is the best way to configure this?

Diodorus Siculus 19:40 28 Jan 2006

She doesn't need a router - just a means of picking up the signal you broadcast - either a wireless pci card or via usb.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:52 28 Jan 2006

As she already has the router, then it would be best to check if it can work in "wireless bridge" mode.

Configure it to connect to your own router and you should be good to go.

If it can work as a bridge, make sure that it has DHCP turned off if it is on on your router.

jhm 11:44 29 Jan 2006

Doesn't need a router just another adaptor (aerial) to recieve your signal. Then use your WEP code (hope you have encryption protection)to use your internet. Be aware that your ISP may not not like you giving out their serevices for free to other users

Forum Editor 13:05 29 Jan 2006

but it's my job to say such things.

Sharing a broadband service between two separate properties in this way is a breach of your contract with your provider. Check the small print in the agreement you signed.

LAPTOPBABE 22:35 15 Feb 2006

How would they know you were sharing the conection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?