Windows XP transfer to 2nd machine.

shaduf 10:43 17 Apr 2012

Some years ago I assembled a desktop computer and installed an OEM version of Windows XP. That machine recently passed its sell buy date and I removed the hard drive and memory and took it to the recycling unit.

I have an HP laptop running Vista which I dislike. Can I legitamately format the HP and install the XP disc on it. Or will I have trouble finding drivers for the HP to run the XP on it.

KRONOS the First 11:22 17 Apr 2012

First thing I would do would go to the HP site and look for your laptop model and see if XP is supported.

northumbria61 11:26 17 Apr 2012

Personally I think you are taking a backward step no matter how much you dislike Vista. I don't know your financial circumstances but I feel you would do better upgrading to Windows 7.

onthelimit1 11:42 17 Apr 2012

I'm pretty sure OEM dies with the machine

rickf 11:43 17 Apr 2012

My thinking is don't go back to XP as it'll become increasing limited as new software are being developed. Often it's just a matter of getting use to the new OS.That is my experience when I moved from XP to Win7 and now very happy with the OS.

Batch 13:29 17 Apr 2012

You will not be able to activate the OEM version of XP on the laptop. OEM versions are limited to use on a single PC and are NOT transferable.

MS will continue to support XP (e.g. security fixes) until April 2014. There is some debate over whether MS will extend this date) possibly till later in 2014. But in any case its life span is limited.

shaduf 15:25 17 Apr 2012

That's it then Windows 7 it is. At least that will be the same as my stand alone Medion. Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?