Which 17" laptop for £500 smackers

JConcept4 21:53 26 Apr 2010

Hey all

I'm buying a laptop for the GFs dad, he will only be using for surfing, downloading tunes and storing images. He wants a 17" screen, doesn't like my GFs 15.4.

Although he doesn't need a hi-end laptop he wants the best for his budget of £500, I've found the following which looks bang on for the cash

Compaq Presario CQ71-403sa Laptop
click here

Has a big hard drive, plenty of ram, 64bit OS and a dedicated GFX (not powerful but should be more than enough for what he wants) seems future proof which MOB allowing for 8gb ram.

This look like a good laptop for the money? Haven't had a compaq before and can't find many reviews on this model.

Thanks for any help

JConcept4 10:13 27 Apr 2010

Also, is lambda Tek a good company to order from?

The reviews look good and the price is one of the lowest around, never used these before so abit cautious.

ame 12:01 27 Apr 2010

click here for a less well spec'd version from Staples which will do the job more cheaply. Not sure about Lamda tek, but suggest you do some googling if you're going to buy from the supplier in your link above, if you get my drift.

JConcept4 15:33 27 Apr 2010

Thanks for the reply, I've checked the lower 402 model out earlier this week and for the cash it is a very good deal BUT (there is always a but) the GFs dad has seen the 403sa and prefers the higher spec. I know he doesn't need the higher spec but he has the budget.

I won't be ordering for laptopsdirect, just posted the spec from that link, was the first that came up in google. Thanks for the subtle warning.

I've read plenty of reviews on Lambda Tek and they all seem excellent. Think I might give them a go.

ame 15:12 28 Apr 2010

Your probably right - 403 is better vfm. Also available from oyyy.co.uk who seem to get good write-ups, I think. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017