What will iPad not do?

tonyq 09:41 20 Aug 2012

I am thinking of buying a iPad,and would like to know what some of the things I cannot do on a ipad that I can do on a a Netbook.

Also,can I transfer photos from my Windows 7 PC to a ipad,and if can,how is this done.

Thanks in advance.

KRONOS the First 09:54 20 Aug 2012
  KRONOS the First 09:57 20 Aug 2012

Oops that posted early,I got rid of mine as I felt it was little more than an expensive toy, I got a Nexus 7 instead. You ask the question what can it not do? I think it would be easier if you told us what you would like to do with it that you do with your Netbook.

Woolwell 10:11 20 Aug 2012

I have an iPad and I use it for more than a toy. Transferring photos via iTunes is fairly straightforward and can be done wirelessly. To transfer from an SD card requires an adaptor at a cost of around £25. You cannot attach a USB memory stick. The inbuilt browser doesn't do flash. But as Chronus has stated it is better to state what you want to do. Personally I don't see the point of netbooks now tablets are around.

tonyq 12:01 20 Aug 2012

thank you for the replies so far. "What you would like to do with it that you do with your Netbook". Firstly I don't have a netbook,I said that mainly for a comparison size/weight wise. I would probably use it for Internet/email,Photos/slideshows.I am mainly asking if I could do Microsoft Office things ect which would be helpful but not essential. I am thinking that the ipad is a more portable answer.

Woolwell 12:09 20 Aug 2012

iPad has a very useful battery life. You can link it to a TV (more expense as an adaptor costing around £25 is needed) and this gives a mirror image of the ipad and is very good at displaying photos. You can download apps (paid for ones but quite cheap) which replicate Word, Excel and PowerPoint and open their documents. Dropbox is very useful to exchange documents and photos between pc and ipad. But unless you buy a keyboard it only has the on-screen keyboard which takes up display space. It is certainly highly portable.

I suggest that you go to a store (possible an Apple store) and try one out. It's not for everyone and is relatively expensive. I take it on holidays and find that it is a useful tool. I get my daily newspaper as an app.

Woolwell 12:11 20 Aug 2012

Biggest drawback as far as I am concerned is the lack of a standard USB port and the ability to connect a memory stick and import from that.

canarieslover 20:16 20 Aug 2012

A lot will depend on how much storage you are likely to require on your machine. Any reasonable netbook will have 250Gb of local storage and be able to run the Office programs you use. It will be like a smaller, slower version of you desktop machine. An Ipad would need to use cloud storage to if you do need large amounts of space and that is considerably slower than a hard drive. Depending on which memory size of Ipad you opted for you could probably almost buy two netbooks so a lot will also depend on the thickness of your wallet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?