Welcome to the Apple forum on PC Advisor

Macworld 11:37 21 Nov 2014

Macworld's forums have moved. If you have questions relating to Macs, iPads, iPhones and other Apple hardware and software, or opinions about Apple that you simply have to share, we have set up an Apple forum especially for you here, hosted on PC Advisor.

PC Advisor's forums are remarkably popular, so you should always be able to find someone who has the answer to your question. They are also fully moderated.

Be prepared for a bit of warring between Mac and PC and iPhone and Android factions, but all in all we expect that you will find a lot of like-minded people over here. Just because it says "PC" at the top doesn't mean it's all Windows – the site is very broadminded.

We'll still have all the usual articles over on Macworld.co.uk, which is still the UK's biggest Mac site and growing every day - and you can comment on those articles too. So don't be a stranger :)

From the Macworld Team

Chris2210 16:15 24 Nov 2014

From being one of the best informed and useful forums out there, Macworld died a slow, lingering death due to buggy hosting software, intrusive advertising and the rise of regurgitated and and content-light, speculation-heavy 'news' on the host site.

Plenty of scope for activity over here I suppose, what with all the waring [whatever those are - have you resurrected the dearly departed Rugby League and It's a Knockout Presenter?] factions to spark a 'lively debate'* over which is 'best'.

*I hope that doesn't turn into the inevitably incoherent slangings of fanboys vs hate everything by brand X crowd, but it's hard to be optimistic.

Matt Egan 16:21 24 Nov 2014

(I'll start the 'waring': I am a long-term Rugby League fan and I always hated Eddie Waring's patronising schtick. Actually, hate is a strong term in any context!)

Welcome Chris2210. As someone who works on both PCA and Macworld I share your hopes and also a little of your cynicism. But we can but try.

As to your point about content on Macworld.co.uk, all I can say is there are more than 6 million users now, and one year ago there were fewer than one tenth of that. So the editors are doing something right, and I can't see that the content has anything to do with the demise of the forum. More users visit Macworld than ever, they just don't use the forum.

We know from years of experience on the PC Advisor forum that it takes effort to maintain a vibrant online forum. And that is something to which we remain committed.

simonjary 16:47 24 Nov 2014

As a former Macworld Editor I'd like to endorse the switch to this spam-free, moderated platform. The PCA forums are well attended by a great group of readers who help out others whenever they can, as well as indulging in discussions on anything tech related and just about anything else (on Speakers Corner).

Early next year it will be responsive, like Macworld, so the differences shouldn't be noticeable.

It should be noted that Future Publishing stopped its Tech Radar forums some time ago, as did MacUser, PC Pro and even Macworld.com.

The PCA forums here continue to prosper, and are the perfect place for the new Macworld Apple Help Forum to reside.

Regards,

Simon Jary

Publishing Director of Macworld and PC Advisor.

Brumas 16:50 24 Nov 2014

As I cannot post twice within the hour and post to my original posting I must apologise for my double posting about my Yosemite problem - it was just another senior moment ;o}

Forum Editor 18:23 24 Nov 2014

Chris2210

"I hope that doesn't turn into the inevitably incoherent slangings of fanboys vs hate everything by brand X crowd, but it's hard to be optimistic."

It will not - I will see to that, so be optimistic. Occasionally someone steps outside the rules; that happens in all forums, but when it happens here we deal with it pretty quickly.

Feel free to up and say so if you're not happy about something. I can't guarantee to fix everything, but I'll try.

wee eddie 11:14 25 Nov 2014

As a Windows User, well since Windows 2.something or other, I'm coming to the opinion that Microsoft has lost the plot and if I need to learn a new Operating System it might just as well be from Apple.

I shall be following the new Forum with considerable interest, for the next six to eight months, until my upgrade decision will be made

Chris2210 13:03 25 Nov 2014

Hi Eddie - I know at one time you could dual-boot Macs, deciding whether to use Windows or the Mac OS at startup. I'm not certain that's still the case, but I know that software like VMware Fusion or Parallels is out there that enable the running of multiple OSes simultaneously. The alternative boot option was totally native, so there wouldn't be a performance hit at all. I can't speak from experience because I've never really had the need to use Windows or Linux software, but if you do need occasional usage of things that are only available for one platform, it's worthwhile to remember that an Apple machine offers a viable route to doing that that isn't easily available on other machines.

The average Mac will cost a lot more than the average PC, but I think it's probably a more realistic comparator to look at the premium end of the PC market for equivalence - and then the difference isn't so great.

It's interesting that now Apple has gained such a huge share of the smartphone/tablet market that a lot more people seem to be open to the idea of the Mac as a platform of choice.

The really heated divisions these days seem to be between the iOS and Android adherents. Plus ça change...

I hope we will see some of the old members of the MacwWorld forum appear over here - it really was a wealth of technical expertise on many fronts.

Chris2210 13:15 25 Nov 2014

"As to your point about content on Macworld.co.uk, all I can say is there are more than 6 million users now, and one year ago there were fewer than one tenth of that. So the editors are doing something right, and I can't see that the content has anything to do with the demise of the forum. More users visit Macworld than ever, they just don't use the forum."

Maybe it's just me then, Matt. As will be apparent from my lengthy, rambling musings, I'm not the twitterati type. It seems many people are so desperate for regular soundbite news they will scour every last rumour and bit of speculation they can find and if it's neatly rounded up...

It's not that I have anything against speculation per se - I've indulged in plenty myself - it just seems more appropriate where it is an exchange of opinion rather than a news digest. Still, the stats don't lie I suppose and I could hardly expect the change of a successful formula to suit my tastes.

Pine Man 14:03 25 Nov 2014

wee eddie

if I need to learn a new Operating System it might just as well be from Apple.

I moved over to an iMac in July and the change couldn't have been more straightforward. There are slight changes to using it's software but, if anything, it is more logical than using Windows software.

The software that came with my iMac had excellent alternatives to Word, Excel and Powerpoint and my Windows copy of Adobe Photoshop also contained a mac disk.

I have avoided loading Apple software, Parallels, that allows you to load a copy of Windows and run Windows software within it. There is nothing that I want to do that I did in Windows that I cannot cater for with Apple software on my iMac.

Macs are more expensive than Windows PCs but, in my opinion, the extra money is well worth it. Particularly when a new operating is released, like Yosemite, and it costs - nothing!

I still have a Windows PC which my wife uses and this post isn't intended to start any warring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires