W98 machine not starting up

johnem 17:41 01 Jan 2006

Hi gang, Season greetings to yuo all.
I have just been updating the McAfee antivirus definaitions on my W98SE laptop and after downloading the latest definitions, everything appeared to be working until the puter just froze. I waited a whils incase it cleared itself and then rebooted using CTRL-AAKL-DELETE. Now the machine starts up and gets to the point where McAfee puts the detyails on the screen that the "Virus data file v4664 created oon Jan 01 2006", "Scanning for 168331 viruses, trojans and variants".
It then states "Checking memory for viruses ...is OK."
The copmputer then just hangs witth no cursor showing.
Despite re-booting several times, it gets to the same point each time.
Have tried various key combinations to try to get to a safe start up condition, to no avail.
Have tried booting from the W98Se CD and from W98SE boot floppy, at present with no great success. Using the floopy disk allows me to get to the A:\ prompt, but not sure where to go from that to try to resurrect the laptop without taking the drastic step of re-formatting etc.
Any ideas of where next?
That will teach me not to leave the updating so long!

recap 17:49 01 Jan 2006

Try booting up in safe mode and uninstalling the McAfee update.

johnem 17:53 01 Jan 2006

Evening recap, at present I have forgotten the correct procedure for booting into safe mode. Are there any general combinations of keys that can be tried?

VoG II 17:55 01 Jan 2006
  johnem 17:59 01 Jan 2006

Thanks VoG™, it's so long since I have had a problem with W98Se, forgot the procedure. I will now attempt to disable McAfee and see if the laptop works.

recap 18:06 01 Jan 2006

Thanks VoG™ for stepping in there, too much ale last night forgot to include the instruction for safemode operations.

johnem, hope it works out for you, if not post back for further support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?