vista from xp machine

andydgra 18:57 23 Feb 2010

A xp laptop that I want to recover to factory settings but I don't have a recovery disc. Can I use a recovery disc off a vista machine, if not, can I download and make a recovery disc? It's a HP machine about 5 or 6 years old and I can't see anywhere on the machine that will make a recovery disc.

GaT7 19:22 23 Feb 2010

No, you cannot use one OS disc to recover another OS.

I don't think there are any legal ways of downloading & creating a recovery disc.

What you can do is borrow an XP disc from someone (neighbour / friend / work colleague) & use that to reinstall XP afresh. The disc will have to be the same as the original edition that was installed: Home for Home, Pro for Pro & so on. And licence-wise, OEM for OEM & Retail for Retail (this has been my experience).

Also, you must have your original Product key to hand before attempting a fresh install. This will be on the COA sticker on the laptop (usually the bottom), or you can get it off the system's Registry by running Belarc Advisor click here. If you need to use the latter method, then make a careful written note of it. G

andydgra 19:34 23 Feb 2010

thanks

Zeppelyn 22:25 23 Feb 2010

I had a HP laptop around 5 years ago and that came with a HP branded XP Disc which im sure was locked and definitly no recovery partition. What model do you have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?