Virtual Machine Software

Rossi#1 22:17 01 Sep 2006

Im currently self-studying for my A+ and as well as my usual XP PC Ive obtained a dinosaur with Windows 98 but I still need something with 2000.I have been pointed towards Microsofts Virtual Machine but the specs desire XP Pro which I dont have.
Is there another utility for free?
And where could I obtain 2000 ideally for free though Im sure you cant buy it now anyway?

STREETWORK 10:39 02 Sep 2006

Try this site:

click here

Rossi#1 11:17 02 Sep 2006

I think its all a bit confusing for me.I should research it a bit more before I do anything.I thought a VM was simply a piece of software you installed to let your PC think it was attached to a little network and could install another OS.

terryf 11:45 02 Sep 2006

Can you explain why you need 2k, it may be that your explanation will enable the forum to give better help

ashdav 12:08 02 Sep 2006

Virtual machines usually run on servers so you will need a server OS.
Best bet (ie free) is to use a Linux server and install any virtual machine on that.
You can then install as many other operating systems as you like.
You can download a free trial VM to suit any base server from VMWare click here
You have to register but use your imagination when filling it in.

Rossi#1 12:16 02 Sep 2006

I think someone has given me the wrong advice on another forum.
Terry,Im studying for my A+ Core and Operating Systems exams so I need to get practice with these three OS's.
I think all I really need to do is get hold of 2000 and have a dual-boot system or something to save hunting down another PC,is that right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017