Using Mac as a windows PC

HenryVII 17:58 04 Apr 2015

i have had a Macbook Air since last August, and it is a lovely piece of hardware, but after eight months I feel like binning it. It wastes so much time because of its peculiar software architecture. My Windows PC, on the other hand, in spite of Win 8, is a pleasure to use. It takes a long time to fire up, but once it's going I rarely spend much time trying to find files or puzzling out other problems. The MS directory/folder approach is simple and easy to keep organised, and I feel I'm in charge. The Mac seems to want to hide files and generally try to be smarter than me. It took me a long time to find out where my jpeg files were, for instance, and recently I discovered, after much hunting, where it stores my Kindle books. On my PC there are no such problems. With the Mac I get very little done given the hours I spend on it. The "tags" approach is great, by the way. Except that now I've got so many I don't know what's what.

I guess the answer to this is "No", but I'll ask my question anyway. Is it possible to marry the beautiful Mac hardware to the practical MS software?

I also have an iPad, by the way. Now that is a nice piece of kit, too, and it works beautifully. So Apple got something right.

wee eddie 18:31 04 Apr 2015

I suggest that you Google "Windows for Mac". It will save me trying to explain Parallels.

I think that you will also have to buy a copy of Windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?