Two Macbooks not charging

cyberphobic 10:40 07 Sep 2009

Both my children have had macbooks for over a year which until recently have performed faultlessly. One of the MAG power supplies stopped working and while both were using the same power supply, we seem to have got into a situation where neither of the macs will charge, they both work fine with the power supplies plugged in but as soon as they are disconnected, they switch off. One battery is shown with a cross in it ( I downloaded istatpro which said that the battery was charged) and the other battery shows the fork logo inside and not charging (istatpro continued to calculate whether the battery was charging or not, suggesting that it wasn't) Interestingly if I swap the batteries from one Mac to another, they show the same info which suggests to me that it isn't a battery problem but a software problem. I've checked on the Apple website but nothing has helped, are there any mac experts out there who can help with this, both children go back to Uni in 10 days time and I will be in severe trouble if I haven't come up with a solution by then!

howard64 17:54 07 Sep 2009

batteries can only be recharged a certain no. of times. If they are the older type you could have the memory effect. That is where if you only give it a little charge eventually that is all it will take. Try leaving the laptop connected to the mains overnight. If that does not work find a way of completely discharging the battery and it may then take a full charge. With the battery removed from the case could you use a voltmeter to determine the voltage it is putting out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?