Transfer files- Win98SE to XP, Vista or Mac

kainos 17:33 14 Mar 2008

A friend is still running Windows 98SE but at last has decided to upgrade. He is undecided whether to go for Vista or XP and is even thinking about a Mac. However this thread is not to argue about the best OS but to help him to transfer files and photos from his 98SE computer.

He is even less computer literate than me {that's saying something} and it will be no good suggesting that he set up the old hard disk as a slave in the new one. Is there another way, which may involve an external drive, and what software would you recommend to do it?

john bunyan 17:48 14 Mar 2008

There are many ways - eg an external Hard drive.
If your friend has a DVD burner, or can borrow an external one, I would burn Photos onto one or more DVD's (4.5 Gig per DVD) and Music on others and Word or spreadsheets on another. I find it easier to keep different applications on seperate DVD's to syop confusing auto run programmes. eMail has an option to export adress book etc - floppy discs probably enough for that. Another way is to link the computers via a wired network - if the old one hasn't a card they are about £10.

Gongoozler 17:48 14 Mar 2008

I would recommend copying all the files to CD. They should be backed up anyway. They can then be easily copied from the cd to a folder on the new PC. No special software other than what is needed to write to the CD (Nero or something like that)

woodchip 18:29 14 Mar 2008

he can use a usb link cable just to use for files. you have to load the software on both computers, a mac would not recognise the files.

click here

kainos 13:12 17 Mar 2008

Thank you very much for your advice, I shall pass it on - clearly I was anticipating a problem that doesn't exist with 98SE being such an old OS.

Gongoozler 15:14 17 Mar 2008

The potential problem isn't with the operating system, but the other installed software. There has to be an application installed for every file type you want to read. This is unlikely to be a problem with jpg pictures, but - for example - word processor files in MS Word doc format will need a compatible application to read them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?