Thinking About Swicthing to a MAC! (Am I insane?)

Dearersteak 01:51 28 Jul 2003

If my college friends knew, they'd probably Hang Me! But... Yes, I am thinking about it! Next year i was planing on building a PC with state of the art everything! (once i have the funds) But....

I've never realy given Mac a good look! But the New G5 has got my attenion. (of couse by next year, there will be newer and better things out from Mac!) Thing is... I have just brought a Dell Axim Pda. Now according to Mac's website, Most Microsoft software is compataible with Mac's! So the only thing holding me back from looking further into the idea, Is two things! One, My PDA! If i can't use that with mac, then i'll probly drop the whole idea and go with the re-build! And the other, Is that i have a Net MD mini disc! (again, same applies)

So my question is... Will these two devices be a problem?? And generally, How compatible IS mac with other software?

Any input from Anyone with any thoughts about the subjects!, eg, Any personal Experience's, Advice, And suggestions, and generaly ANY Input are ALL Welcome!

Djohn 02:42 28 Jul 2003

No, not insane at all! this is all I could find in the forum, but feel sure there are more threads on this subject. Regards. j. click here

Dearersteak 15:20 28 Jul 2003

Well, We'll that was all true, Back in 2002, (as dated on the messages) Like i said in my first post, The G5 has court my attetion. As it is currectly the worlds fastest Desktop! ...And for good reason!

The G5 CPU is the first computer to use a 64-bit processor It can support 8 gigabytes of ram. The processor(s) is available at speeds up to dual 2GHz. AGP 8X and PCI-X, 250x2 Gig 7200 Hard drives, ATI readoen 9600, plus about a billion other things!

Just wacth this Vid, This is the vid i wacthed on there site, And it came about this closs to converting me there and then! click here It was a real eye opener! Its fairly long, and you need quicktime, It your bandwidth will support it, wacth the highest res One, As it realy is something esle!

PirÅTë 15:31 28 Jul 2003

i found this

click here

Taran 15:49 28 Jul 2003

There is nothing wrong with a Mac; indeed, several forum menbers use them extensively (I'm one of them) and those of us who can perform every task on one that we could do on a PC but, in fairness, you could more or less say the same in reverse, despite the blurb to the contrary from Apple.

If I was doing a lot of video or sound editing I'd far rather do it on a Mac than a PC. It's faster and more efficient (in general) and a whole lot more pleasurable than the same kind of task on a PC. However, the more recent video editing releases for the PC have more or less made this a matter of personal preference rather than hard facts and figures.

In fact, that pretty much sums up the whole argument regarding switching to a Mac; preference.

To run your PC software on a Mac requires some emulation software which entails a performance hit, although speed is acceptable under these circumstances. I'd far rather run Phoroshop for the Mac than Photoshop for Windows on a Windows emulator though. If you ever see the comparisons the results are obvious. Dedicated Mac software is far more efficient on the Mac than Windows software running under emulation.

Despite my fondness for the Mac, I certainly wouldn't dream of buying one of the new G5 machines. I don't need that speed (who cares if Photoshop takes a few seconds longer to open up or apply filter effects ?) and in rendering video footage I'd imagine that the difference will be a few minutes here and there faster than on my current Macs.

You can achieve the same outcomes on either a PC or Mac, but the road from start to finish is slightly different.

I run both platforms and will continue to do so since they both offer certain strengths and weaknesses in the way I work.

I don't even try to argue with those who point out that Apple "only" have a 5% market share of computer sales. Obviously these people have never cosidered the history of PC's (without clone manufacturing PC's would not be as mainstream as they are now) and 5% is still a very large volume of sales and users. If this wasn't the case Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia et al would not invest the development time and expense in producing application software for the Mac.

It all falls down to preference and work methods. Just try not to be blinded by the big numbers bandied around for the hardware of the particular machine you mention. In normal, everyday real world use you will never see the difference in performance but your wallet will certainly feel it.

Regards

Taran

Rayuk 19:48 28 Jul 2003
  Taran 20:21 28 Jul 2003

What is this almost universal appeal to big numbers when talking about hardware ?

Who gives two hoots how many clock cycles the hardware is cabaple of ?

Does it help me type faster, write more usable code when programming or generate websites more efficiently ?

The only time I'd ever even notice would be time savings of a second or two for opening some applications, maybe some of the huge SQL queries and database processes I sometimes run would scoot along a bit quicker and perhaps I'd save a few minutes when rendering complex video edting scenes involving lots of fades and blends.

Be still my thumping heart...

Taran 20:25 28 Jul 2003

Perhaps a faster computer would have spotted the above typos and corrected them for me before I even made them. If not, I'm even less interested than before.

;o)

DieSse 20:26 28 Jul 2003

insane - no

perverse - maybe......

;-))

Dearersteak 20:27 28 Jul 2003

?

I'm just going to pretend that i know what that means!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?