Telewest Broadband + 1 PC + 1 Mac + Wireless - OK?

OwenLotts 17:56 01 Oct 2004

I'm currently on Telewest Broadband using a Surfboard Cable Modem (wired) to access the net etc.

Daughter is getting a PC from work so she can work from home a couple of days a week.

I was already to buy the router and the 2 USB adapters to "go wireless" when she announced the PC will be "an old Apple Mac". No idea of the spec etc until it arrives.

Question is can you have an Apple Mac (assuming it meets the minimum spec for Blueyonder) and a real Windows PC on the same wireless network? I can't see any reason why not except
that according to Blueyonders minimum spec list PCs work on USB and NIC and Apple Macs on NIC ONLY. The adapters supplied by Netgear are only USB. There doesn't seem to be an option to buy a NIC version.

Or am i wrong?

Don't want to pay out £120+ just to effectively remove one half metre cable between the modem and PC and still have an Apple Mac not connected.

Noelg23 18:00 01 Oct 2004

well like you said you dont know the spec of this MAC...so it could have USB ports..MACs do come with them...so you should be able to connect them wirelessly...I would definitely wait til the MAC arrives then we can take it from there...and it all stems down to how old this MAC really is...

OwenLotts 18:03 01 Oct 2004

But Blueyonders own spec says Macs are only supported though NIC ONLY. I appreciate it doesn't help not knowing the spec of the Mac but i did says "assuming it meets the minimum spec for Blueyonder". Obviously if it doesn't i'll abandon the wireless idea.

If Mac are only supported through a NIC then USB or no USB ports a USB adapter will still be no good on the Mac? Or is this wrong?

Noelg23 18:06 01 Oct 2004

I see what you mean...but why would Blueyonder say that? they must have turned away alot of customers if this is the case...well if I were you I would abandon the whole wireless idea...cos sounds like you will have some problem...

OwenLotts 18:28 01 Oct 2004

Just found out on the last page of this Flash animation click here it does NOT work with Apple Macs.

Noelg23 18:36 01 Oct 2004

well there you have it...thats what I was looking for...glad you found it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires