talktalk macbook problem

23ruthie 20:34 09 Aug 2006

can anyone help me? I have got my first ever broadband with talktalk and am trying to set it up on my new macbook. I realise now I have made a terrible mistake (the talktalk part, not the macbook, I love it) but it's too late to get out. I can't run the installation cd and can't even eject it now. The icon just sits on the desktop and if I click on it it goes to the screen where you choose which version of OS you have, then it seems to install itself but doesn't do anything else, nothing like what's described as happing on the scant instructions on the sleeve. It's driving me mad. I can't get through to TalkTalk customer 'service', the onwetime I did the person couldn't really understand me, carphone warehouse fob me off... What am I doing wrong?

Ruth

rawprawn 21:22 09 Aug 2006

Have you tried asking Apple for assistance? Sorry I can't answer your question, but I would think Apple could help.

howard63 21:22 09 Aug 2006

does the software claim to be mac useable? With pcs if the cd drawer does not open there is a little hole that you put a straightened out paper clip in to release the tray. Your mac may have hung try rebooting it. Sorry not much knowledge of macs.

ed-0 21:53 09 Aug 2006

" I recently purchased my first Mac and signed up for Talk Talk. The Speedtouch Modem, which is supplied as standard, could not be detected by my MacBook. So..........

1st call to their Technical Department took thirty minutes @ 10p/minute - I was advised to disconnect all of the cables from the modem AND was then promptly cut off.

2nd call to their Technical Department took twenty minutes @ 10p/minute - I'd already explained that I was using a MacBook, but was still advised to click the "Start Button". The operator explained that she would need to speak to her technical department (?!?!?!?) and call me back. She did this twenty minutes later and told me that their modems are not supported by Macs with Intel chips.

The only way around this was to purchase an ADSL Gateway. I'm now up and running and my first email was to Talk Talk customer services."

from click here

macuser is not bad a forum, for macs. click here

Stuartli 22:54 09 Aug 2006

TalkTalk's specifications for the MAC state:

"The modem we supply has drivers for all versions of Macintosh from OS 9 up to 10.4.4. (but no drivers for Macintosh OS X 10.4.5).

"Unfortunately, our modem drivers do not support Macintosh OS with Intel Processors."

You say you have a "new" Macbook.

23ruthie 19:42 10 Aug 2006

hmmm,
my version of OS is only 10.4, but I do have an Intel processer. I will continue to try to get hold of the helpdesk, annoying that now I'll probably need to buy more stuff. Thank you all very much for your help.
Ruth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?