Is Superantispyware locking up my machine ?

Furkin 09:06 09 Mar 2008

Hi,
I was trying to help a friend to look into Antispyware etc.
I came across SUPERANTISPYWARE. Before I told him about it, I downloaded it myself to have a look at it.
I wish I hadn’t.
If I click on it, to either Open / Run / Update etc, it locks up the computer.
I have tried ctrl/alt/del, but get the message “this program can’t be closed down it is locked in by the system”
The whole machine is locked up & I have to switch it off at the power button.
I am assuming that this program is causing this,,, & my immediate plan was to just delete it,,,, but,,,, before I do, I was wondering if this is a known fault with the program,,,, or what else might cause the problem ?
I have never seen this message before.
Thanks folks

skidzy 09:09 09 Mar 2008

Was it this program click here if so it is known to be a very reliable program as a rule.

My advice would be to uninstall it from add and remove programs while in safemode and reinstall.
If the problem persists,post back.

ex-wirecutter 10:01 09 Mar 2008

I have not had any problems with this prog , in fact it found spies others had missed.

mike40 10:03 09 Mar 2008

I have just had a similar problem after updating to the newer version. I then removed it from Ad Remove programs and about half way through the process I got a BSOD. I am now up and running again after all the usual checks. I think I will manage without it for the time being

MeandHer 10:06 09 Mar 2008

Hi.
Try what skidzy says.
This is one of the best free prog around.

I have been running the free edition of this program under XP Pro for several months without any problems.

rdave13 10:10 09 Mar 2008

Before you try Skidzy's good advice go to all programs and highlight superantispyware and click on repair Superantispyware. Might have been a corrupted installation.

Furkin 11:27 09 Mar 2008

thanks folks:
bit more of a prob,,,,,
every time I try to Delete this (from Add/Delete),,,, the computer switches its-self off,,,, & back on again,,,, still with the prog installed !?!?

Have just done a 'Repair' as per rdave13 (ta),,,, but have to leave the SCAN till later as I'm busy.

also: since this has been happening, I’m having a bit of a problem with IE loading ! I usually start it from the quickstart bar,,,, but it's a bit intermittent. It tends to be a bit better loading if I start it from the desk-top icon (which is the same as the Q.Start one).
If I am able to get on with something else, then eventually IE will load - coincidence or separate issue ?

birdface 11:35 09 Mar 2008

Will a system restore to a date before you Installed it work. If not download Clean up from Microsoft or Windows.Run that and only delete superantiSpyware.click here

skidzy 13:35 09 Mar 2008

System restore as buteman says or follow my advice uninstalling from sfemode.

sunny staines 16:41 09 Mar 2008

i have recommended SAS on loads of machines it did a first class, although i did know have someone who had a oldish dell and SAS locked up the pc and just would not run and had to be unstalled reason nk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?