Spinning Beachballof Doom on Login

jamesrandom 11:16 12 Feb 2015

Hey all.

So on Monday I started up my mac as usual, and was surprised to see that it got stuck at the 'blurry yosemite' login screen (sans any login options, since I have automatic login on) with the spinning beach ball of doom, which was spinning really fast, twice it's normal spinning speed.

I restarted. Same thing.

I booted in safe mode, but couldn't log into my main admin account, as I just got a freeze with a normal spinning beach ball on the blurry login screen again.

So I restarted back into safe mode and went into my other admin account, which runs fine. Even in non-safe mode it runs fine on the other user account(s).

I reinstalled OSX, and this seemed to fix the problem on my main account.

Today it recurred, (after I type in my password) so I tried as best I could to find a solution and settled on re-installing again. I could login again!

I had a look around the login items in preferences, and there was one program in the list which I had uninstalled ages ago. There were a couple of plists for uninstalled items in LaunchAgents and Application Support, too.

Also, Firefox was automatically open when I logged in again. FF, as many of you may know, has a bug which means it wont close properly, and you have to Force Quit. Sometimes I forget and shut down my iMac, which will simply hang until I've Force Quit Firefox. Not sure how that would affect things before login, though.

I'm reluctant to shut down my mac again for fear of having to go through the faffle all over again.

I've fixed perms, etc. Zapped NVRAM 3 times, etc. None of that had any effect when I had the problem.

Any ideas would be great.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?