slow machine

willyv 11:55 29 Mar 2007

I am fairly happy with my Dell dimension 2400 PC, but more recently whilst working on a particularly large word doc it seems to be struggling and the helpbox from the system tray frequently (once an hour) pops up saying virtual memory low. I am running an Intel Celeron 2500mHz with 384mb Ram. Can anyone suggest if i need more ram or could optimise the system significantly with a software application. I'm not into gaming and only use the PC for websurfing, email, wp and the occasional download. I defrag and ccleaner regularly.
Cheers

birdface 12:28 29 Mar 2007

click here got this one from Skidzy,It only deletes 10 items at a time but you can use it as many times as you like,You get a months free trial,It will delete things from your registry just like C Cleaner,Has a Quick defrag on it,And does speed up your computer,My month is nearly up but it costs $39 if you want to keep it,A bit expensive but worth it if you can afford it.

birdface 12:30 29 Mar 2007

click here it did not come out first time.

birdface 12:33 29 Mar 2007

Dont know whats going wrong,But just click on the click here and it should open.

willyv 12:51 29 Mar 2007

Im already running IObit smart Defrag which seems O.K. May have a crack at it anyway. By the way im currenty using pc2700 ram would a replacement with slightly more at 3200 make much difference?

birdface 07:39 30 Mar 2007

Sorry unable to help you with Ram question but I am sure someone will be able to advise you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 30 Mar 2007

The ram change woul not make any noticable difference, better to add more ram (not if your using win98).

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

If a program is not releasing memory and virtual memory gets low,this is sometimes refered to as a memory leak. Does it only happen if you are running certain progrms?

skidzy 15:15 30 Mar 2007

"slow machine"

Looks like its time for a good cleanout,remove any unwanted programs from add and remove programs first.

Have a look here for everything you need.click here

As above,adding more ram is the way to go,but just added the same ram but slightly quicker will not help you unless the motherboard can cope with this.Quicker ram will run at the specified speed as its backward compatible in xp.

To improve the machines boot up time,remove unwanted startup programs that run in the background.
Click start/run and type MSCONFIG and select startup,now untick everything except your AV and firewall and if any realtime Antispyware program ..leave this ticked also,then ok and reboot.

willyv 12:04 31 Mar 2007

Cheers dudes,
I am considering buying registry mechanic to sort the prob- as recommended by many on the forum. i have seen the software on ebay a lot cheaper than the retail- do you reckon this will be hacked/pirate authorisation key codes???

RobCharles1981 12:13 31 Mar 2007

"I am considering buying registry mechanic to sort the prob- as recommended by many on the forum. i have seen the software on ebay a lot cheaper than the retail- do you reckon this will be hacked/pirate authorisation key codes???"

No you don't need to buy it - there is a free version Registry Mechanic 5 If someone can find the link for him and then use the following to register for free:

VNU Network

FB41-D277-1C28-421B-A059-5EB7-8C30-F33B

p;3 12:50 31 Mar 2007

what windows version are you on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?