Running a Mac on a Windows based home network

eeze1 21:16 11 Oct 2007

My home network currently consists of 2 desktop PCs(one running Windows XP, the other running Vista), a laptop running Windows XP and a printer.
I'm seriously considering replacing the host desktop with an Apple Mac. I want to run both Windows XP and OS X operating systems and Apple suggest installing VMware's Fusion software. However, I've been advised that establishing this configuration maybe more trouble than it's worth. Any thoughts appreciated.

mgmcc 08:23 12 Oct 2007

I'm not sure whether you're wanting to run both Mac OS X and Windows in the Mac hardware (which is the purpose of VMware fusion) or simply to Network the Mac with existing Windows PCs.

Networking Mac OS x and Windows XP/Vista isn't a problem.

T0SH 19:31 12 Oct 2007

I seem to remember that Macs do not understand a DHCP server issuing IP addys, so you would have to set it up with an IP & subnet mask ETC manually,other than that it should work fine for the internet, I think file and printer sharing may have to involve Appleshare ?

Cheers HC

mgmcc 20:28 12 Oct 2007

<<<I seem to remember that Macs do not understand a DHCP server issuing IP addys>>>

The Mac gets its IP address by DHCP from the router the same as any other computer and I didn't have to do anything with "Appleshare" to network my Mac with XP or Vista. To be honest, I don't even know what Appleshare is. ;)

eeze1 20:36 12 Oct 2007

In response to mgmcc...
My intention's to run both Windows XP and OX on the Mac using VMWare Fusion..

T0SH 19:54 13 Oct 2007

This link explains what Appleshare is and does

click here

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?